The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photoshop is killing my contrast

Scott G

Hoping for some help from the experts.

When I export an image to Photoshop (CS5 or CS6) from either C1 or LR3/4, the contrast of the image is radically different -- the shadows are noticeably brightened, and the midtones are decreased. The whole image looks flat. A huge and annoying difference that I cannot figure out.

I don't think it is a colorspace problem. The colorspace for all the SW is ProPhoto, and the monitor (30" cinema display) is calibrated with a ColorMunki.

When I save the lower/altered contrast image from PS with no adjustments whatsoever into either C1 or LR the image looks normal, i.e. as it did when it was exported.

So it looks like it is some sort of an artificial curves adjustment or display preset is being applied by PS. Speaking of curves, I saw a video on Kelby Training that prompted me to use a bunch of them on some images - I can't say for sure that this problem started then - but is it possible that I created some unintentional curves adjustment that is being automatically applied to everything? Is there some sort of weird soft proofing going on (proofing is off).

I don't use PS a huge amount, and I might be a few Pringles short of a full can, but I never saw this before. I am keen to learn and use PS more, but this has me stopped in my tracks.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Try resetting defaults to factory...

If you hold down the three modifier keys Ctrl-Alt-Shift in Windows (Command-Option-Shift in the Mac) while starting up Photoshop, then Photoshop will give you the following prompt asking …

“Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File?”

Click “Yes” and Photoshop will delete your preference file. This bring all settings back to factory default settings.

Bob

Scott G

Thanks Bob,

Just tried it, and no effect, the shadows are still way opened up in PS. If I do no adjustments at all, just save from PS to LR, it looks the way it should. :wtf:

docmoore

Scott,

Check that you have not evoked some proof setup...under the View heading...to simulate paper profile with paper color simulated...otherwise I am stumped. (EDIT...just saw that proofing is off?)

Also check Color Settings under the EDIT heading...

As an aside...my roundtrip from LR4 to CS 5.5 CS6 is perfectly matched with color and contrast.

Bob

Scott G

Color settings are:

RGB: ProPhoto
CMYK: US Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Gray: Dot Gain 20%
Spot: Dot Gain 20%

Color Management Policies are all Preserve Embedded Profiles, profile mismatch boxes are all checked to Ask When Opening

C1 and LR are set up to export in ProPhoto

Under View/Proof Setup menu, "Working CMYK" is checked. Proof Colors is not checked.

I'll try to do some screen captures of the images if I can figure out how to post them.

Thanks again

Scott

docmoore

Color settings are:

RGB: ProPhoto
CMYK: US Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Gray: Dot Gain 20%
Spot: Dot Gain 20%

Color Management Policies are all Preserve Embedded Profiles, profile mismatch boxes are all checked to Ask When Opening

C1 and LR are set up to export in ProPhoto

Under View/Proof Setup menu, "Working CMYK" is checked. Proof Colors is not checked.

I'll try to do some screen captures of the images if I can figure out how to post them.

Thanks again

Scott
All normal.

Wonder if a complete reinstall of LR4 / CS6 would clear the problem...but you must use Adobe's uninstall program in the program folder or you will be unable to reinstall as profiles and other files will be left...with CS6 it will balk and not allow reinstall.

Bob

Scott G

Looks like the cause was the monitor calibration from ColorMunki. When I first bought the display, and before I got the Munki, I used the Apple display calibration assistant to create a profile.

When I use that profile, all is good, everything looks the same in LR, C1 and PS.

I don't really understand how the ColorMunki profile created so many issues though. I ran and re-ran it repeatedly and always got the same results.

Is there a better profiling solution that I should look at?

Scott G

As a followup, I posted this same issue on Adobe forums, and after many attempts at tweaking various settings, it was discovered that the ICC version number was the issue.

There is ICC V2 and ICC V4 (news to me). So I made profiles in ColorMunki using both. Using V4, my images in LR and PS were very different, and using V2 they are identical. Apparently PS works with either version, and LR not so much.

Looks like the issue is solved, but it really shouldn't this difficult should it?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>There is ICC V2 and ICC V4 (news to me). So I made profiles in ColorMunki using both. Using V4, my images in LR and PS were very different, and using V2 they are identical

Good to know.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Scott,
I have a NEC display and use their puck (powered by Xrite) to calibrate it. I use my Color Munki to calibrate my MacBook pro and make my printer profiles. It all works seamlessly going between LR4, C1 Pro and CS5. I'm glad you found the source of your problem. I just wouldn't want anyone to go away thinking that the Color Munki was at fault. I have found it to be a wonderful product.
I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief. Those are the kinds of problems that just drive you nuts till they are solved.:deadhorse:

Scott G

Cindy,

Some adult beverages eased the pain a little :D, but yes, very frustrating. My understanding is that only PS supports V4 profiles, while LR and C1 do not.

V4 is the default mode in my ColorMunki, I have to go through preferences to change to V2. Maybe it is just my particular monitor/SW/calibration, but I am surprised that it was this difficult to diagnose.

The good news is that it involved adult beverages!