The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS4 (64bit) First Thoughts

Don Libby

Just got around to loading the new CS4 onto my studio machine. This computer looks like a mini-refrigerator and my neighbors kid me (I think) that their lights dim when I turn it on. I've got a Dell Precision 690 running quad core 3.00GHz and for now 8 GB RAM, I also have dual NVIDA Quadro NVS 285 display cards that have two Dell 24' monitors as well as a Wacom 1200 attached; I won't even go into the storage space. I configured this computer about 2 years ago and was running it on Win XP Pro 64 before making the move to Vista Ultimate 64 late last year.

As a side note I had what turned out to be a minor problem but I went to our local computer geek store when as I was explaining the system their eyes rolled into the back of their heads - they did admit it was beyond their level until one person stepped out from the back. I figure they kept him chained in the back as he really didn't have very good interpersonal skills but he knew computers and that's all I wanted.

Running a system like mine is no piece of cake as I found out. Yes it's fast and yes it delivers what I ask of it so long as I feed it the proper software.

What's the point of all this? Simple, as I said before I just completed the install of Photoshop CS4 64bit. I've had it up and running now for less than 30 minutes but I can tell you this sucker is sweet! It recognizes the RAM I have available which is well past the 4GB range. I've gone to the preferences and set what looks like will be good for me and opened a normal size file. This is a 60x30 inch panorama at 300 ppi which is 1.02GB in size. The file opened in way less time than it's ever done before - very fast indeed.

Finally a 64bit image processing software! What a great tool to accompany Capture One 4.5 Pro in 64 bit. Looks like people have listened to those of us who operate 64bit.

I'm very impressed and happy!

Thanks for letting me share the news.

don

Ben Rubinstein

I certainly don't have a monster machine like yours but on my modest machine with an extremely modest video card, Bridge is running faster at rendering previews, high quality previews and 100% view than CS2. Considering what an abortion Bridge CS3 was, this IMO is very good.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like I may have to upgrade myself but i will wait until these three big projects starting next week before i do.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, CS4 is NOT 64-bit for Mac. Have to wait until CS5 before Mac users get 64-bit. Long story, but it is ultimately because Apple switched from Carbon to Cocoa for 64-bit architecture mid stream, and so Adobe abandoned development of 64 for Mac in CS4...

S

sjms56

i'm running a quad 2.66 4GB machine w/Nvidia 9800GT w/Vista 64 and even at this level i'm very happy. the only minor issue is the plug ins except for one (PTLens) don't exist in 64bit. but you know adobe was nice enough to load up the 32bit version of PS right next to the 64bit. making thingsreasonable until people decide to play catch up. maybe in the next few weeks i'll throw in the second 4GB batch but for now its smoother sailing with this then 32bit.

Don Libby

Just thought I'd pass this on ....

Just completed printing a 35x65 image on canvas (finished image is 30x60 with a 2 1/2 inch wrap) using CS4 without any problems. The file size is relative small at 19500x10509 1.14GB 300ppi. Took just shy of 45 minutes to print on my 9800; that's from the time I pressed the print button till the time I cut the canvas. I don't think the print time is much faster however I didn't have any problems printing directly from CS4.

Now fun part - stretching it on the fame later this week.

don