The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Support GetDPI.com with a action web converter.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hello Everyone just wanted to announce that Jack has created a really cool action to take from PS your images and convert it ready for the web. It does all kinds of cool tricks. We give this action to our workshop folks that attend so we thought you all maybe interested in it . Plus this helps Jack and I get a little money to send Andy our IT guy and web server God for a nice little dinner with his family. We like to keep Andy happy. LOL

So if you would like to donate 15 dollars for the web converter that would be nice. Just send Jack a paypal and he will e-mail it to you. [email protected] is the paypal address. Happy Holidays from Jack and Guy

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
File received, thanks !
But I don't know exactly what to do with it, is it some kind of plug-in for Photoshop or what ?
I have been spoiled by only using Nikon Capture 4.4 which could do everything needed for my Nikon NEF files, and that's why I have never really used my old Photoshop 7. And now I just use Capture One Pro 3.7.7 for my Leica M8 DNG files.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Steve it is a action for PS just load the action from the action tab so when you are working on a image and ready to size it for the web you choice this action and it does everything for you and just save to desired place on computer than upload onto the site

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy.
The resizing part works, but I get this error message so it looks like I'm not taking full advantage of all the 'cool tricks' intended for the optimizing. I suppose my "Photoshop 7" is way too old for this, right ? I realize it is about time to upgrade.
But honestly, I would rather wait for Lars Vinbergs coming "Joey" program.
/Steen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The actions work great! The steps you assembled are exactly the ones I've done a hundred times in PS and always new they would make a great set of actions. I was just too lazy to do the work. I especially like that there are several size alternatives. Thanks!

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steen:

What version of CS are you running? That message should not come up in CS2 or CS3, but would in CS1 or earlier --- IOW these actions are only for CS2 and later. Another issue is making sure you loaded right set for your OS --- If you loaded the PC set on a Mac or Vice Versa a similar error would pop up. I send everybody two sets, one Mac (intelmac) and one PC as they are OS dependent because of some java scripting --- did you load the correct one?

(Actually I just realized a third possible issue: pre intel macs may need a different java instruction set, so let me know if that is the case with you.)

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The actions work great! The steps you assembled are exactly the ones I've done a hundred times in PS and always new they would make a great set of actions. I was just too lazy to do the work. I especially like that there are several size alternatives. Thanks!

Tim
Hi Tim:

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you've loaded them properly and are finding them a good time-saver, which is what they were all about!

Cheers,

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack, I am on a Windows XP machine and I actually did use the correct PC version.
The reason is simply that my Photoshop is a completely outdated 6 years old "version 7" that I never really used (from about year 2002). I've been spoiled by being able to do everything nessessary in the dedicated Nikon Capture raw converter.
So I guess I need to buy a CS3, only it is so expensive with its many irrelevant features I'd never need. Hmm,
I think I would rather wait patiently for Lars Vinbergs 'Joey' program which to me sounds much more interesting to try out when it is released hopefully at some point this happy new year. Who knows maybe a beta this spring ... :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steen:

Sorry we did not clarify that the actions are for CS2 forward! Refund is on its way!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
No no no, please. I'm happy to support Andy a bit for his great efforts :)

Last edited:
H

hermie

To Jack Flesher:

I have read somewhere on this forum that you give a copy of your upsizing action to workshop participants.

I've always been very pleased with the results from your upsizing procedure as laid down in article on Outback Photo and the accompanying filter from Uwe.

Any chance you'll be distributing this upsizing action as donorware, just like web converter?

Best regards,
Herman

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Is there a writeup about what these actions do? How they are different to 'Save for Web'?
Hi Ben:

The integral difference is they offer a smoother, stepped sharpening designed specifically to mainting sharpness while eliminating the jaggies and halos sometimes seen on images when "Save for Web" is used.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Herman, I replied to your PM. For posterity in this thread, I do not offer an uprez action because the steps need to be tailored to camera model/file size, raw converter sharpening settings, printer model and desired print size. If you commonly print to one size used on one printer, I can build you a custom action for that purpose. These usually run around $35 or so, but if you need more options, please PM me for an exact quote.

Cheers,

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jack, I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS4 (Macintosh) and when I run the converter action I get this alert. (I've definitely installed the correct version of the action.)

The action still works fine but I was wondering if you have any ideas about the alert?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS4 (Macintosh) and when I run the converter action I get this alert. (I've definitely installed the correct version of the action.)

The action still works fine but I was wondering if you have any ideas about the alert?
Hi Jonathon:

Yes I do. I had to rewrite the script for CS4 and you are using the script in CS4 and CS3 is no longer on your machine ;). If you PM me your email, I'll send you a new version.

Jack

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just an update note -- the current version works on CS4 and CS5, Mac or Win just fine! If anybody bought the original version and needs an update, let me know and I will send you the new version free of charge.