The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Announcement: Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sharpening, structure, and clarity are all types of "sharpening via localized contrast" (like a USM)

Sharpening works at a very small radius
Structure works at a medium radius
Clarity works at a high radius

Structure and clarity spread their effect over more pixels so while they can produce halos they only do so at fairly high settings.

The new Bayer algorithm also holds up much better to additional sharpening in general (less digital interpolation artifacts an therefore less artifacts that get sharpened).

emmawest72

Hi,

I downloaded the trial version, which was quick, but can't get it to launch. Each time I get this message:
"Switching from Capture One Express to Capture One Pro requires the application to be relaunched"
I have tried to locate the capture one express on my mac but it is nowhere to be found...
When I try to relaunch it just quits.
Any advice help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
William

A

alainD

The new processing engine helps ALL cameras it's been optimized for, and all older Phase backs have been so optimized. You will see a real detail gain and a significant reduction in noise, like 3 stops of ISO worth.
After looking at some of my Sony A850 pics at 100% I see an improvement, but far from a 3 stop improvement (400 versus 3200 ISO). Is it possible that the Sony A850 still has to be optimized?

eleanorbrown

Just a quick reply for now...as haven't had a chance to read over all the remarks which I want to do...but first, I used the European download site last night and had no issues...impossible to download from the US. Also I'm seeing huge improvement in my Nikon D800e files. Haven't worked with my Phase one back files yet...Big improvement in detail and the HDR controls are hugely better!! More later...Eleanor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
After looking at some of my Sony A850 pics at 100% I see an improvement, but far from a 3 stop improvement (400 versus 3200 ISO). Is it possible that the Sony A850 still has to be optimized?
Very possible -- I know that all Phase and Leaf backs and certain legacy Canon and Nikon bodies were optimized for this release, but newer Nikon and Canon were still forthcoming. If you are not seeing a significant improvement, then my guess is you are not yet optimized.

A

alainD

Very possible -- I know that all Phase and Leaf backs and certain legacy Canon and Nikon bodies were optimized for this release, but newer Nikon and Canon were still forthcoming. If you are not seeing a significant improvement, then my guess is you are not yet optimized.
Let's hope.

There also no DSLR Sony/minolta lenses in the lens correction box, some wideangles would be very nice ;-)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi,

I downloaded the trial version, which was quick, but can't get it to launch. Each time I get this message:
"Switching from Capture One Express to Capture One Pro requires the application to be relaunched"
I have tried to locate the capture one express on my mac but it is nowhere to be found...
When I try to relaunch it just quits.
Any advice help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
William
Close the application.

Rename the application itself. Doesn't matter what the new name is as long as it's different. For instance "Capture One 7" or "Capture One For the Love of Pete Start Working".

Open the application. You may get this message one more time but after relaunching (once) it should go away. It may also work right away.

Please report back here if this works for you. If not, I suggest contacting your dealer's support department or starting a support case on Phaseone.com.

emmawest72

Close the application.

Rename the application itself. Doesn't matter what the new name is as long as it's different. For instance "Capture One 7" or "Capture One For the Love of Pete Start Working".

Open the application. You may get this message one more time but after relaunching (once) it should go away. It may also work right away.

Please report back here if this works for you. If not, I suggest contacting your dealer's support department or starting a support case on Phaseone.com.

Doug,

Thanks for the tip. Will try tonight to see how it works out. Cheers, William

archiM44

I see the implementation of LCC batch processing and applying a great time saver.
I was wondering what is the future of Media Pro now that C1 7 got catalogues and offline management?
I have not used Media Pro due t othe bad wrap it got. Is this an attempt to merge these programs?
The catalog in COne7 will not show the embedded thumbnails in RAW files from unsupported cameras like the Fuji Xpro1 which I use next to my M9's and there is no way I know to send the RAW files to a program which can process them and get the tif back into the C1 catalog.
Media Pro does show the embedded thumbnails in the XPRO1 RAW files and sending them to any other program for processing and back as tif or whatever is fast and elegant.
I just purchased Media PRO and find it better than when I first tried it when it came out.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Great to hear. That bug is very uncommon but it occurred (rarely) in v6 as well so sounds like it's still possible in v7.

eleanorbrown

I have a question about Nikon D800e files that were converted to dng. The first couple of months I had this camera I converted all files to DNG. Then C1-7 came along and I would like to process some of these previously converted dng files in C1 7 but they are horrible...absolutely horrible..unusable in C1-7. Of course I have stopped converting Nikon files to DNG as the Nikon RAWs do great in C1-7. Other DNG files from other cameras seem do do fine in C1. What's with the 800e files. Everything is off color wise and no amount of white balancing will even come close to making the file worth working in C1. Any suggestions please. Many thanks, Eleanor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The DNG profile in C1 is of a completely generic variety so it holds no Nikon algorithms in them. Go back to your original raws before that conversion and use those.

Bottom line it sees DNG but has no clue what to do with it as far as profile. Im pretty sure this is the case

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
First, what problem are you trying to solve with DNG?

DNG is not nearly what it's sold as (future proof, open/non-proprietary, interoperable raw format).

eleanorbrown

First, unfortunately, the original RAWs are gone...I only have the dng version. Second I like dng because it's so easy to save the RAW changes inside the file and no external files are needed...no sidecars..no nothing. That makes things much simpler for me. I have previously converted literally all my RAW files...Phase, Canon, Sony, etc to dng for this reason. Eleanor

First, what problem are you trying to solve with DNG?

DNG is not nearly what it's sold as (future proof, open/non-proprietary, interoperable raw format).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Eleanor,

With all due respect, saving ONLY a DNG raw is not idea -- as this release of 7 confirms, raw converters can improve in the future and saving the original raw allows to complete reprocess out a possibly more ideal image. Corollary comment: disk drive space is CHEAP!!!

eleanorbrown

Well, live and learn...With that said, I live in both Texas and Colorado and have identical computer set ups in both areas so am constantly transferring files back and fourth and it was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated. From now on I will be leaving my Phase and Nikon files in their respective RAW formats. I know this site is heavily oriented toward C1 but up until now I have gotten really wonderful RAW processing through Lightroom...even my Phase files from 4 different backs. Now however, with the D800e files, Lightroom just wasn't doing a consistent job at all and I was getting discouraged with the camera's files combined with the Lightroom "profiles". And with the advent of C1 7, this is a whole new ballgame.......I'll still do all my organizing and most of my printing from Lightroom but most of my processing in C1-7. Eleanor

Eleanor,

With all due respect, saving ONLY a DNG raw is not idea -- as this release of 7 confirms, raw converters can improve in the future and saving the original raw allows to complete reprocess out a possibly more ideal image. Corollary comment: disk drive space is CHEAP!!!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated.

I would always take also a copy of the LR catalog.