The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Announcement: Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Eleanor work in sessions since all your files reside in that folder you setup. It holds your Raws your settings and your finals. Now copy that whole session on a external move half way across the planet load on any computer with C1 and you don't miss a beat.
And a word of encouragement . Your work is so damn good never go back to LR. Please trust me on this one .

Guy Mancuso

Btw I always import to a session than from there I take that session and back it up on two externals. Than as I work a session and process my finals I just replace the session with the new work I have done. So I always have three copies of that session up to date as I work .

eleanorbrown

Oh yes, always do...just copy my LR catalog "as is" and just relocate the RAW files accordingly..eleanor

>was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated.

I would always take also a copy of the LR catalog.

eleanorbrown

Thanks for all you suggestions and tips Guy...and yes I always have current back ups on multiple external drives for sure! Eleanor

Btw I always import to a session than from there I take that session and back it up on two externals. Than as I work a session and process my finals I just replace the session with the new work I have done. So I always have three copies of that session up to date as I work .

Guy,
do you see any drawback/risk in using the catalog(s), with the raw files stored internally, the same way you use the sessions?

Guy Mancuso

Well the one issue is you will outgrow your internal drive. Now you may keep the catalog data on the internal but the files on a bigger external . You can do that and IMHO a better way to go. Problem is when you travel your leaving the raws behind. I'm personally not a big fan of a catalog system. One of the reasons is as I just described. Sessions you can just take let's say the last 5 shoots with you that you may want to work than when you get home just replace your backups.
Not saying catalogs are bad. I guess I got so ingrained to make sessions of each job or shoot and file by name and date than when needed just go back to that session off your main backup. When I hit the road I may just grab the last job session or a bunch. But you can create the catalog data base keep that internal and store your raws on a external or server and work like that.

Now lets remember this is Phase Ones first real venture into this catalog world and as we are seeing a few bugs. Pretty normal in the software world, I would give them till next update to get serious about it right now. That's not a dig at Phase at all and don't intend it to be. I'm more a rock solid type person on certain things before I take risks. Sessions just make more sense to me but we all know folks love these catalog setups and that's great. It's like more automation to me and I'm always a little shy of that when it comes to photography. I still don't trust AF. Lol

Well the one issue is you will outgrow your internal drive. Now you may keep the catalog data on the internal but the files on a bigger external . You can do that and IMHO a better way to go. Problem is when you travel your leaving the raws behind. I'm personally not a big fan of a catalog system. One of the reasons is as I just described. Sessions you can just take let's say the last 5 shoots with you that you may want to work than when you get home just replace your backups.
Not saying catalogs are bad. I guess I got so ingrained to make sessions of each job or shoot and file by name and date than when needed just go back to that session off your main backup. When I hit the road I may just grab the last job session or a bunch. But you can create the catalog data base keep that internal and store your raws on a external or server and work like that.

Now lets remember this is Phase Ones first real venture into this catalog world and as we are seeing a few bugs. Pretty normal in the software world, I would give them till next update to get serious about it right now. That's not a dig at Phase at all and don't intend it to be. I'm more a rock solid type person on certain things before I take risks. Sessions just make more sense to me but we all know folks love these catalog setups and that's great. It's like more automation to me and I'm always a little shy of that when it comes to photography. I still don't trust AF. Lol
Hi Guy,

Good points about storing the files inside the Catalog. Yes, you could eventually outgrow your internal storage! The great thing about our implementation is that even if you don't have access to the RAWs you can still make adjustments and do all your virtual organisation. ;)

BUT! As it is easy to open several Catalogs at once in CO7, why not have a Catalog for each client or each job? Much like a Session?

Then it is easy to copy that single file from one place to another!

D

Guy Mancuso

Very good points. Things we need to understand on C1 implementation on how this was designed to work. I like the several catalog idea for instance.

archiM44

Hi Guy,

Good points about storing the files inside the Catalog. Yes, you could eventually outgrow your internal storage! The great thing about our implementation is that even if you don't have access to the RAWs you can still make adjustments and do all your virtual organisation. ;)

BUT! As it is easy to open several Catalogs at once in CO7, why not have a Catalog for each client or each job? Much like a Session?

Then it is easy to copy that single file from one place to another!

D
An excellent idea, BUT the C1#7 catalog will not show embedded thumbnails nor any other thumbnail representation of files not yet supported by Capture One like those from the Fuji XPRO1 which I use next to Leica M9's.
Media Pro does show these and most important allows me to send the file to a program which can process the files and bring them back into the Media Pro catalog as tiff or jpg.
I truly wish I wasn't forced into adding another program from the same developer's stall (Phase One) and into this convoluted workflow.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've gone the catalog route but I have mixed feelings. I have set up a catalog for each year of my files - Catalog 2001, Catalog 2002 and so on. I used this because that's the way I keep my files on my hard drive (RAID array) - year and month. So this month is file 2012.11.

I see two problems. The first, a very minor one, is that I now have a catalog for each year in addition to the actual files, which uses more HD space.

The bigger problem is download time. It can take 10 or 15 minutes to download my CF card to my hard drive and THEN I have another 10 or 15 minutes uploading to the Catalog.This is a pain.

For the moment I'll continue the catalog route but....

Bill

eleanorbrown

I have a question about outputting through Photoshop CS6 then seeing the adjusted tif or jpg in C1. The photoshop (or other app..ie. silver efex pro, etc) changes are never recognized in C1. What am I doing wrong?? I rebuild the C1 preview, etc, but with no luck. any suggestions. Thanks. Eleanor

Remko

I have a question about outputting through Photoshop CS6 then seeing the adjusted tif or jpg in C1. The photoshop (or other app..ie. silver efex pro, etc) changes are never recognized in C1. What am I doing wrong?? I rebuild the C1 preview, etc, but with no luck. any suggestions. Thanks. Eleanor
Hi Eleanor,

Did you use layers? If you did, try first to flatten before importing or referencing the edited PS tif file in C1 and see if that solves your issue.
Not sure if that works, but that is what I would do if I ran into this problem.

cheers,
Remko

eleanorbrown

Thanks for the suggestion Remko, but no layers. Can't figure out what the issue is. eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

Did you use layers? If you did, try first to flatten before importing or referencing the edited PS tif file in C1 and see if that solves your issue.
Not sure if that works, but that is what I would do if I ran into this problem.

cheers,
Remko