The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Hi Doug,

Two questions so far:

1. Noise reduction is pretty different than 6. Can you offer some guidance? I miss the surface slider.
2. Is there any performance or stability reason to upgrade to 10.8 or can I just stay with Snow Leopard?

etrump

Now I have to reprocess all my images. Seriously, the IQ is substantially better in the controls have all been improved.

Be sure to upgrade the engine on old images to get the new features.

Dan Bellyk

Is there a way to get your serial number somewere when you open up Capture One 6
The last 4 digits are greyed out? when I look at about

schuster

Phase One provides the full functionality of Capture One for digital backs owners under the "DB" version.
Hi Doug - I use the DB version for my IQ160's IIQs, but I'd like to demo the full version to see how it works with my TIFs as well. How do I open it other than "DB-only"?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi Doug,

Two questions so far:

1. Noise reduction is pretty different than 6. Can you offer some guidance? I miss the surface slider.
2. Is there any performance or stability reason to upgrade to 10.8 or can I just stay with Snow Leopard?
1. Noise reduction, sharpening, and the debayering math (all of which ends up related/linked in a workflow) is indeed very different. Here are some thoughts:
- the debayering math means that there are less digital artifacts. This means the image can take more sharpening without producing obvious digital artifacts
- the debayering math produces more detailed images which means you likely don't need to sharpen as much and may even want to turn sharpening down a bit from default
- the default noise reduction level may be needlessly high when using the v7 engine; feel free to drop it down when the image doesn't seem to need it
- the color noise reduction and single pixel noise reduction sliders are much more full proof; i.e. even when used aggressively they are resistent to causing deleterious side effects
- luminance noise reduction can now be set much more aggressively; however it has a tendency to create a fairly plastic finish when used strongly. I suggest adding 30 to 60 points of "fine grain" to counter act this tendency.
- details = "surface" in the negative direction. When upping details you're changing the way the data is "massaged" prior to debayering. This interacts with the sharpening and the luminance noise reduction to change the way the grain is structured. For experimentation take a mid-ISO file and process with low-detail/high-sharpening/mid-luminance-noise-reduction and compare it to high-detail/mid-sharpening/low-luminance-noise-reduction.

2. Actually 10.7 is my recommendation at the moment. The improvements to speed in C1v7 are dependent on OpenCL which isn't working great right now in 10.8 or 10.6. But otherwise either 10.6 or 10.8 is fine. Long term look to get to 10.8.

Mind you I'm writing on 3 hours of sleep after a solid 16 hour day...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, is there educational pricing for higher education staff who work in imaging?
Yes on a case by case basis depending on what institution and what position you work in (i.e. a professor of commercial photography is a no brainer, an accountant at a fine art college is a no go).

Email [email protected] or call the office to speak with someone in sales (I'd suggest getting the trial for now and calling on Wednesday or Thursday of next week; it will be pure chaos for Friday/Monday with the c1v7 launch).

gazwas

Doug, I was really chuffed to see Phase finally included an opacity filter in the local adjustment but would love your help as I can see no way of adjusting the opacity once the mask has been painted?

I can paint a mask with a 30% opacity but don't see a way of tweaking this. Seems backwards if that is how its been implemented if I need to know what opacity my mask needs to be before I draw it......... is there a crystal ball feature I've missed? :p

Loving version 7 so far apart from this little niggle!

Pics2

Is there a way to get your serial number somewere when you open up Capture One 6
The last 4 digits are greyed out? when I look at about
I couldn't figure out neither. I went to my email archive to find their activation email. It took me awhile. It must be stored somewhere in the software.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Doug, I was really chuffed to see Phase finally included an opacity filter in the local adjustment but would love your help as I can see no way of adjusting the opacity once the mask has been painted?

I can paint a mask with a 30% opacity but don't see a way of tweaking this. Seems backwards if that is how its been implemented if I need to know what opacity my mask needs to be before I draw it......... is there a crystal ball feature I've missed? :p

Loving version 7 so far apart from this little niggle!
I can't decide if it's a bug or a feature, but if you paint with 30% opacity, then discover that you missed a spot, it's almost impossible to fill it in. Painting over the area with another stroke of 30% will fill in the hole, but will double paint the overlap. There doesn't seem (at first glance) to be a way to add to an existing stroke.

My biggest problem is that exporting an image from a catalog fails to export the local adjustment masks. With Sessions, I would archive selects by exporting as EIP, but that doesn't seem possible from a catalog. I'd be happy to make a special "Selects Catalog" for backup, but I don't see how to do even that. I've tried different settings, and trashing plist files from older installations, but still no LAM on export. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using OS X 10.8 on both desktop and laptop. Same behavior on both.

Someone really has to write "C1 for Dummies" or "C1, the Missing Manual". (Doug?)

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We'll be working on training materials for sure. The free Youtube videos are a good start, made by none other than David Grover of forum fame. If you haven't watched those they are a MUST.

We (Digital Transitions) have our intro and advanced Capture One Webinars and our very advanced full-day Capture One Masters Program. And we also do 1v1 training in person or via the web (though this gets pricey since we're not filling full of a class but instructing one on one with a 100% catered curriculum).

We'll also be working on material for our website covering specific topics in depth.