The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I like C17 very much - definitely superior image quality especially in DR.

Two bugs I've found.

1. I arrange the toolbar the way I want it - but when I change Catalogues, I lose my changes and have to re-do them.

2. When I delete an image, instead of the next pic showing up in Viewer, it says "No image selected" - although the next image has a white border around it.

Not a big deal but irritating. Meantime the Gradient filter and the two Clarity sliders are great.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bill save your workspace and it should hold what you done. Out at dinner but very top I think last icon on right.

yatlee

It may be a dumb question. I tried to select 2 images holding the control key to view side by side, but it doesn't work. Is it a bug?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yat,

Hold the command key (on a Mac.. not sure what the PC equivalent key is), not the control key.

Best,

Mat

Guy Mancuso

BTW you can right click a thumbnail and add a variant of the original than the command key work on one and compare to original side by side. Nice feature

sc_john

I'm tempted to do a quick video on stuff like this
I would really appreciate this, and I am sure others would, as well. C1 has a steep learning curve, and anything that can speed the climb and keep us on the right track would be much appreciated.

John

Wonder if pro 7 DB version supports Leaf A10 II .mos files? It does load and generate previews, but none of the edit function works. It works with Leaf Credo files without problems.

Philip

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm tempted to do a quick video on stuff like this
I think it's time to produce the GetDPI edition of "Capture One Pro - the Missing Manual". (or "C1 for Dummies" :rolleyes:).

Perhaps if Doug P wants to write the book it can be a joint effort. I'll certainly help.

Note: This is a serious suggestion. God knows the existing documentation, even with the online videos, is too sketchy.

--Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A little late here, but I actually just read all of Doug's 13 things -- and I'm going to add a big 14 (or 14 and 15 :D ): There is now logic applied to the exposure and highlight and shadow recovery tools, such that clipped channels now can be recovered to an extremely close approximation of what the original color really was. (For landscape shooters this is HUGE.)

Dan Bellyk

Sorry guys I asked this already but is there any way to apply the shadow and highlights as a local adjustment so it does not effect the whole image? As already stated the little brush is not in the "High Dynamic Range Box"
This is a big deal to me as I use it all the time in LR4 for recovery in landscape.

Dan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys I asked this already but is there any way to apply the shadow and highlights as a local adjustment so it does not effect the whole image? As already stated the little brush is not in the "High Dynamic Range Box"
This is a big deal to me as I use it all the time in LR4 for recovery in landscape.

Dan
Keep in mind that HDR tools are global, self-masking tunes and with layer masks become kind of redundant to basic exposure adjustments. Currently the HDR tool does NOT work in adjustment layer mode, however IMHO, it is not needed since exposure, contrast and brightness DO work -- and work extremely well in V7 --in layer mode and combined do as good or even better jobs with the mask capability than HDR can do.

Guy Mancuso

Great example of what Jack just described here. In the normal image I used my highlight control, shadow controls to bring down some of the sky . Than using a layer mask I made a gradient for the sky which overlapped the mountain peaks than erased the gradient from the mount ions than used my brightness or exposure to bring the gradient down in exposure more. The cool part here is I am only working on the sky so anything I do at this point only effects the sky which eliminates any need for doing a HDR. Which I hate BTW. Than after I get the exposure what I like. Secret here than in color editor I pick a color like the slight warm tones in the sky and enhance them with maybe more saturation and maybe darken that single color a little and you get a nicely saturated effect in the sky. Key here as Jack said is what we are doing is pinpointing exactly what is needed in your image without doing global adjustments to your image. Much more precise work and simply much better results.

Guy Mancuso

Big plus here is color editor on my green highlights in the trees I picked that green saturated slightly than added more exposure to it and now my green highlights pop better. Folks once you learn color editor it really is a amazing tool. I did this whole image in C1 and only cloned something in PS. That's how good this program is. There is a lot of color editor in this image being used along with layer masks to highlight like the water for instance.

Dan Bellyk

I was trying to play around yesterday Jack and was not seeing this BUT my laptop was bogging down and really dragging out my editing process beyond the point of frustrating.
I was going to try and post some examples but my laptop crashed and I gave up. Also wondering about the Auto Mask tool as I am finding a lot of overlap even when selecting and area with high contrast. Is this tweakable? I know this is new and a wish list but a couple things I would love changed. Will have to play some more....heading to the Apple Store today to look at a new Macbook Pro.....Damn they stopped making the 17" ones :(

Thanks for the reply Jack

Guy Mancuso

Seriously this is why Jack and I along with other C1 devotes love this program. It is the control we have to tweak anything you want in almost any direction you want.yes we are bias but as you can see for very good reason.