The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bill did you at first install over version 6. I'm really thinking given several slow complaints and buggy to do a clean install. I wiped my whole system of anything C1 before finally installing the official version 7. I had 6 and 3 betas on my system but I'm running great since I did that .

jlm

Workshop Member
just made the upgrade purchase and tried to download, but am getting refused by server, told me to clear my browser cache and try again,(mac) no joy. Guy should i delete all previous C1 before I download?

Guy Mancuso

Yea I would but i would also go to the Phase site and clearly grab your code and write it down. What I am not sure of is the upgrade process. Does Phase send you folks a code after you make the purchase and is it different than your version 6. My issue is I was given a code for mine and it was different than my Version 6 so I just wiped everything and started new. Im hoping you dont need version 6 on board to upgrade.

Doug if your out there I dont know the answer to this one. I dont think you need 6 on board but want to be sure.

I dont have a definitive answer on this upgrade process and looking for help on it.

stephengilbert

I'm filling in for Doug. I paid for the upgrade from 6 to 7, and Phase gave me a new code for version 7.

I deleted 6 before installing 7, but used AppZapper rather than doing it manually. I await Doug's word on whether this was bad.

Guy Mancuso

No that sounds like just what i was hoping for. Wipe 6 out than . You will lose your styles and workspaces. But styles most likely need to be tweaked anyway and workspaces takes a few minutes to set back up if you have them. You can actually save the workspace by copying it off your main drive than put back in after you update. PITA and not sure its worth the effort. I used Clean My Mac and it wiped any sign of C1 on it.
Given we have heard slow, bugs and such I would go clean install.

Thanks Stephen no it was just fine what you did and I recommend it. Bits and pieces of programs from earlier versions can just cause issues. I'm sure Doug would agree with me here he is a big on wiping programs out before installing.

Dan Bellyk

For the upgrade I had to enter my version 6 code and after payment was sent a new code, as stated before go to Phase One and look up your purchases and your version code will be there.
Guy I just got back from "The Apple Store" and checked out the new retina display 15" MB Pro's and they are nice....$3000 by the time you upgrade the RAM to 16....Not cheap but like you I am always on my laptop. I have a MacPro with a 27" NEC monitor but hardly use it. Just curious, my thought was to install CS6, Capture One and the rest of my applications on the computer and save all my photos to an external drive.....does this make sense?
Also the one I was looking at was the 2.6 GHz with 512 GB storage Flash and 16 GB RAM

Guy Mancuso

For the upgrade I had to enter my version 6 code and after payment was sent a new code, as stated before go to Phase One and look up your purchases and your version code will be there.
Guy I just got back from "The Apple Store" and checked out the new retina display 15" MB Pro's and they are nice....$3000 by the time you upgrade the RAM to 16....Not cheap but like you I am always on my laptop. I have a MacPro with a 27" NEC monitor but hardly use it. Just curious, my thought was to install CS6, Capture One and the rest of my applications on the computer and save all my photos to an external drive.....does this make sense?
Also the one I was looking at was the 2.6 GHz with 512 GB storage Flash and 16 GB RAM
I do not store any images on my laptop except maybe for the current job I am working on. Now i do have a Promise Pegasus 4TB drive running Raid 0 that is connected using T bolt and its just as flipping fast as my SSD drive. So yes i can actually process right from that Pegasus. So yes you are thinking right in line. All OS and applications on that 512gb Flash Drive they have on the Retina and you can work off that but store somewhere else. You don't have to have a T bolt external but it is nice. Just do the current job right off your laptop drive than obviously back it up somewhere make your deliverable files to client than lose it off your desktop when you finish. BTW you can use your 27 inch NEC as i use my 30 inch NEC to my laptop. You just need one of those stupid DVI dual adapters.

No question if your getting the Retina you cant change anything after the fact so no question get the 16gbs of RAM. The fastest processor is questionable sometimes. I do it just because I'm a speed freak.

BTW Dan I can hear your wallet screaming all the way from Canada. LOL Its painful

Oh outside of using T bolt externals there are USB 3 drives that are cheaper and still very fast to store images on. Look into those for sure

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill did you at first install over version 6. I'm really thinking given several slow complaints and buggy to do a clean install. I wiped my whole system of anything C1 before finally installing the official version 7. I had 6 and 3 betas on my system but I'm running great since I did that .
Yes, I followed Capture Integration's excellent article on uninstalling V6 before installing V7. I don't know what got corrupted but it's fine now.

And I do love the image quality! I'm updating all my files to the 7 engine.

Cheers,
Bill

Guy Mancuso

Go outside and yell get it off your chest , you'll feel better. LOL

Great machine you'll love it and enjoy

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Catalogs are getting annoying - is there good documentation on using them in a workflow?

1) I already opened a ticket on what I think is a real bug. Local adjustment masks are not exported even when exporting originals "with adjustments". This makes selective backup almost impossible. :cussing:

2) With a session, I have an output folder. Anything I process is visible there. This seems necessary as C1 can't print reliably from a RAW, but only from an already processed file. BUT... with a Catalog, although I specify an Output folder, I can't SEE the contents of that folder unless I go and add the contents to the catalog. And then every time I process, I have to find the new TIFFs and add THEM. This sounds just wrong. :cussing:

2a) Yes, I have added the Output "Folder" to the catalog, but when I select that in the Folders area, it is empty. Nothing shows up unless I add the contents, and then it doesn't stay updated. I couldn't figure out how to configure a smart album to always reflect the contents of a given folder, but I didn't try too hard.

It's entirely possible that I'm just confused and that if I read the right online document, it would all be clear, but I am close to ripping this Catalog of 600 images to shreds and going back to Sessions. :banghead:

Anyone using Catalogs successfully?

Thanks,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

Ill try it today Matt. Have not had the chance and I never did beta test that part.

BTW did you do a clean install.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks, Guy.

Just to be sure, I did a by-the-book clean and reinstall. No change. I think I just don't understand how we're supposed to use Catalogs.

Does anyone print from C1? I still print from LR, but generate the TIFFs in C1.

Best,

Matt

eleanorbrown

I paid for the upgrade, downloaded and installed over V6 without a hitch. Works great. I did get a new code. Eleanor

Yea I would but i would also go to the Phase site and clearly grab your code and write it down. What I am not sure of is the upgrade process. Does Phase send you folks a code after you make the purchase and is it different than your version 6. My issue is I was given a code for mine and it was different than my Version 6 so I just wiped everything and started new. Im hoping you dont need version 6 on board to upgrade.

Doug if your out there I dont know the answer to this one. I dont think you need 6 on board but want to be sure.

I dont have a definitive answer on this upgrade process and looking for help on it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Matt, I agree they need an option to process directly back into the catalog and/or a "open in PS from Catalog" option (like in Aperture/LR). The path for Catalog users to get an image from raw to PS and then back into the catalog in 7.0 requires far too many steps.

No big surprise here, 7.0 is the very first time they are supporting cataloging. I expect the improvements in Catalog workflow in coming releases to be significant.

----

Re speed for everyone... as noted in one of those "12 things you need to know" I mentioned that Open CL is not working today in OSX 10.6 and 10.8. This should be addressed soon (at least for 10.8.x) at which point a lot of the speed improvements in v7.0 will become manifest. An SSD and lots of ram has always been a strong recommendation for Capture One, but now you'll want to think about Graphics Card as well (since Open CL draws off the graphics card). Some of the less recent Apple laptops had really under powered graphics cards which which would not do well in C1.

I'd also expect that performance/speed/stability will be their biggest focus in the next month or two now that they have the X.0 release out. As far as X.0 releases go this one has been pretty stable on all the systems I've tested on, but every X.0 release (whether Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, or Phase One or anyone else) always has a few bugs.

And yes, the advice to clear your preference/app-support files before upgrading is still in place. I've never tested App Zapper for this purpose but my gut feeling is it would do the job correctly (it's a fairly simple job to do after all).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
just made the upgrade purchase and tried to download, but am getting refused by server, told me to clear my browser cache and try again,(mac) no joy. Guy should i delete all previous C1 before I download?
If you're still having problems connecting/completing the phaseone.com download you can use the download link on our website:
Capture One Software

It runs off our own server (not Phase's) and has been working great throughout the release (to be fair we have a small fraction of the traffic the official server has).

jlm

Workshop Member
thank you doug. downloaded from your link in 4 minutes.

had tried the phase site...was downloading ar 8kbs, would take 2 days!

thanks again