The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Excellent David, great points. i think that is exactly the direction I will take the catalogs. I see some really good value for myself to invest the time in setting up something for my finals. It really is a PITA trying to find this stuff. Sessions for me at least is one of those workflow issues that i will not change, since my whole backup is setup like that. I'm now actually thinking of adding a extra external just for the catalog final tiffs.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My major concern with combining Sessions and Catalogs is keeping them in sync. If you later do any editing in the Session, does the Catalog view reflect that edit? What if you move a file, say, to the Selects folder?

The major advantage of a Catalog only setup is that it handles all these database issues.

--Matt

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Strange.
I can see via C1 7 those tifs produced by processing in C1, but if I save a file in PS as a tif it cannot be seen.
that sort of puts the kibosh on that use case.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Strange.
I can see via C1 7 those tifs produced by processing in C1, but if I save a file in PS as a tif it cannot be seen.
that sort of puts the kibosh on that use case.
-bob

that would do it for me too. thats has to be a bug

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of options when saving as tiff.
I found that if you turn off saving layers then C1 can see it in the browser.
That is sort of a way of doing it, but still very wrong.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

There are a lot of options when saving as tiff.
I found that if you turn off saving layers then C1 can see it in the browser.
That is sort of a way of doing it, but still very wrong.
-bob
Damn just tried importing a layered Tif and your right its a no go.

jlm

Workshop Member
are you trying to use C1, 7 to tweak processed files, not just raw files? or just to view them?

archiM44

Guy,
The sad thing is that when I make a round trip from the LR4 catalog and the layered tiff is there, if I open it again in PSC6 the layers are intact.
Since Capture One is my processor of choice, I think I will keep my LR4 catalog and have a MediaPro catalog on trial and stay with definitely stay with sessions in Capture One.
I find the Capture One catalog a weak version of the Media PRO one.

Christopher

So far C1 isn't really the best options for a catalogue... It works, but not quite as good as it could be. However, I think it does not matter and I would wish they would invest the time in other things. Lightroom works so well for cataloguing that there isn't really a reason for doing it in c1...

Guy Mancuso

Well would love to see C1 have a great catalog system. Honestly I do not even have LR4 on my system. But as I said before and I mean no offense to Phase in any way but first blush at this and it still needs a little work. Which is fine with me, I waited this long already and if they can work some of these issues and get us a rock solid setup than I'm all for it. Be nice to have both my raw processing sessions and a catalog library in one program. He'll they put a cloning tool and a dodge and burn tool in C1 that works like PS, I would consider dumbing photoshop that's how much I do in C1 alone. Great program and Version 7 is killer on my files so I won't be worrying to much on catalogs right now a updated version I am sure is already being worked on.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well would love to see C1 have a great catalog system. Honestly I do not even have LR4 on my system. But as I said before and I mean no offense to Phase in any way but first blush at this and it still needs a little work.
Agreed. As is there are a lot of promising parts of the Catalog feature, but several medium sized gaps, and some performance issues that need to be improved before I can jump on board Catalogs.

But the fact that the feature is there, and that a lot of the interface has been tweaked to allow it to fit in seamlessly is a good first step.

I have little doubt Cataloging will rock in the near future.

eleanorbrown

C1-7 was almost not working last night....constant crashes, extremely slow to the point it was unusable , the Mac twirling ball most of the time...so bad I had to do a computer restart and start using Lightroom instead. Today I did a clean install and while it hasn't crashed yet anyway, it's very slow, more twirling ball when it loads previews...not as bad as last night but problematic. Hard drive spins a lot on loading previews. (is there any way to keep the on screen previews once they are loaded?) I'm on a Mac...20 gb ram, top of the line everything in early 2008. Computer in tip top shape for all other applications. What can i do to get C1 running so I can use it. Any ideas and thanks!! Eleanor

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Try disabling OpenCL in the C1 preferences. On some systems it seems to cause problems.

--Matt

archiM44

Eeanor,
Thanks to your posting of problems, I visited your site and spent a lot of time admiring your work which was a wonderful experience.
I don't really know what could be your problem, because I have even run C1-7 on my wife's old iMac, one with the matte screen, with 4GB ram and OSX 6.4.8.. It's not blazingly fast, but not slow either and no twirling balls let alone crashes. I have sent files from my M9 back and forth from LR4 and from MediaPRO with no problems or long waits. I did remove absolutely all folders from phase one/Capture One before installing including the one under application support, saving only styles, work spaces temporarily on my desktop.

Jeremy

Between Capture One 7 and Pixelmator I haven't used Photoshop once in the last week for any images.

Areas where C1-7 could improve:
The catalog, well, sucks
Overall the program *feels* slow (2.6ghz quadcore with 16gigs of ram)
It won't process grayscale files (!?) so I have to convert all of my B&W film scans to color before processing
There are too many "modules" which could, by default, be condensed into something much less frenetic

eleanorbrown

Thanks so much for your kind words about my site...and also for your comments about your experience with C1. For me it is running better today than last night. I also have many RAW folders I have listed as "favorites" and was wondering if all these could slow things down. Also, I have only one session (one capture folder, one output folder, one trash) and I drag and drop from there. I only work with my RAWs in C1 for processing...everything else I do in Lightroom...organizing, work on tifs, printing, etc etc......which is the way I like to work...at least so far. Eleanor

Eeanor,
Thanks to your posting of problems, I visited your site and spent a lot of time admiring your work which was a wonderful experience.
I don't really know what could be your problem, because I have even run C1-7 on my wife's old iMac, one with the matte screen, with 4GB ram and OSX 6.4.8.. It's not blazingly fast, but not slow either and no twirling balls let alone crashes. I have sent files from my M9 back and forth from LR4 and from MediaPRO with no problems or long waits. I did remove absolutely all folders from phase one/Capture One before installing including the one under application support, saving only styles, work spaces temporarily on my desktop.

PeterL

...... I also have many RAW folders I have listed as "favorites" and was wondering if all these could slow things down. Also, I have only one session (one capture folder, one output folder, one trash) and I drag and drop from there. .... Eleanor
This may be the source of your problem. It is not very efficient for C1 to work with one huge session. All sorts of caching of previews and other stuff from pictures you're not even looking at, are carried around in that mega session. If you have RAWs in folders for a particular project/shoot, try just creating a session pointing to that folder, and work from there, it should be a lot faster.

Cheers, -Peter