The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Between Capture One 7 and Pixelmator I haven't used Photoshop once in the last week for any images.

Areas where C1-7 could improve:
The catalog, well, sucks
Overall the program *feels* slow (2.6ghz quadcore with 16gigs of ram)
It won't process grayscale files (!?) so I have to convert all of my B&W film scans to color before processing
There are too many "modules" which could, by default, be condensed into something much less frenetic
Hi Jeremy,

Perhaps you can help me to help you by quantifying 'sucks'? Perhaps there is some feature I can help you with or? Be a bit more specific and ill try to help.

What format are you greyscale files in?

Module wise, we don't actually have any at all! Do you mean the tool tabs? If so you can add/remove those to your liking and populate them with whatever tools you wish.

David

archiM44

David,
The catalog in C1-7 misses a couple of features which I need:
It does not show the thumbnails or a symbol for RAW files from unsupported cameras like the Fuji XPRO1 which I use next to my other cameras. They just don't exist.
It doesn't allow me to send these files to another program which will process them and reimport the tiff's or jpg's back into it. Here is my earlier post about this:

The catalog in COne7 will not show the embedded thumbnails in RAW files from unsupported cameras like the Fuji Xpro1 which I use next to my M9's and there is no way I know to send the RAW files to a program which can process them and get the tif back into the C1 catalog. Furthermore it should allow me to send any RAW file to any program I want to use at that moment.
Media Pro does show the embedded thumbnails in the XPRO1 RAW files and sending them to any other program for processing and back as tif or whatever is fast and elegant.
I just purchased Media PRO and find it better than when I first tried it when it came out.
I did have to make the admittedly small investment!
I will now have to decide whether to shift completely to MediaPRO from LR4 catalog and process files in C1 which has always been my program of choice, or undergo the learning curve required for MediaPRO

eleanorbrown

Thanks Peter...I was wondering if the one session idea was causing issues....I hear the hard drive going all the time and when it's trying to cache all the previews it tends to crash, or if not crash, just stall so it is unusable. Eleanor

This may be the source of your problem. It is not very efficient for C1 to work with one huge session. All sorts of caching of previews and other stuff from pictures you're not even looking at, are carried around in that mega session. If you have RAWs in folders for a particular project/shoot, try just creating a session pointing to that folder, and work from there, it should be a lot faster.

Cheers, -Peter

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Perhaps you can help me to help you by quantifying 'sucks'? Perhaps there is some feature I can help you with or? Be a bit more specific and ill try to help.
Mostly the things which have already been stated here -- slow, not exporting local adjustment masks, exporting to an Output folder requires reloading those items back into the catalog every time. I feel like the catalog should have been left out of C1-7 and added as C1-7.1 when it was ready for primetime. It almost feels like I am fighting with the program when I use the catalog instead of it being a streamlined process that keeps everything in check.

What format are you greyscale files in?
16-bit flattened, uncompressed grayscale TIFFs.

Module wise, we don't actually have any at all! Do you mean the tool tabs? If so you can add/remove those to your liking and populate them with whatever tools you wish.

David
Yes, I mean the tool tabs. I believe it's in another thread, but Jack gives some suggestions on how to setup the tool tabs which I took and everything is *much* smoother. Honestly, I think a more streamlined default setup would make the process of transitioning to C1 much easier.

This is the first time I have ever used C1 and have to say, for me and my work, the processing beats ACR HANDS DOWN -- I'm spending less time fiddling and more time shooting and printing. This weekend I will be printing files processed in C1 vs. ACR to see if the quality difference I think I see in my images translates into the platinum/palladium prints.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is the first time I have ever used C1 and have to say, for me and my work, the processing beats ACR HANDS DOWN -- I'm spending less time fiddling and more time shooting and printing. This weekend I will be printing files processed in C1 vs. ACR to see if the quality difference I think I see in my images translates into the platinum/palladium prints.
If it's your first time you may find a lot of learning curve is saved by formal Capture One training.

The free online videos are great to get you into the program and help you understand what features are available and basic workflow steps. But, like Photoshop, there is a LOT beyond the basics that can help you improve quality and workflow speed/ease/consistency.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, I mean the tool tabs. I believe it's in another thread, but Jack gives some suggestions on how to setup the tool tabs which I took and everything is *much* smoother. Honestly, I think a more streamlined default setup would make the process of transitioning to C1 much easier.
Re the default setup: bear in mind that C1's #1 design goal is not making it easier for LR users to switch to C1 (though there is some consideration given there naturally) but to make C1 the best interface possible for it's target users (typically a bit more advanced/pro than the prosumer market LR tends to target). There is always some loss of simplicity when providing such flexibility and power (though we should always push them to keep as much simplicity as possible!).

C1's interface is designed to be customizable to reasonably fit an 11" MBA laptop and expand usefully to a dual-30" monitor setup. To that end the default is designed to fit systems towards the smaller end of this range (many tabs, fewer tools per tab). To fit best on a larger monitor (even a 17" laptop) you'll want to reduce the number of tabs and increase the number of tools per tab. This is a great solution, and since you can save the workspace you only have to make sure changes once.

Here is small screen grab showing a custom setup I built while on-set with a photographer who locks down his camera and shoots several "plates" with small areas of interest.

Such a custom setup, geared specifically to the shoot at hand, is simply not remotely possible with LR.

Jeremy

I wasn't transitioning from LR as I have my own catalog/metadata system, but from Photoshop. It seems there is a whole lot more in the way of mousing/clicking in C1, though I haven't set up any custom keyboard shortcuts or learned the ones inherent to the system. Tonight I'll spend some more time with the tool tabs and test out different layouts for my 15" and 30" screens.

Maybe I should watch those free videos online, too -- I'm very much a jump in and learn to swim kinda guy.

RGoldman

Any idea when the 1Dx tethered shooting might become available? The release notes say it is now but it won't work on either platform.

Ron

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mostly the things which have already been stated here -- slow, not exporting local adjustment masks, exporting to an Output folder requires reloading those items back into the catalog every time. I feel like the catalog should have been left out of C1-7 and added as C1-7.1 when it was ready for primetime. It almost feels like I am fighting with the program when I use the catalog instead of it being a streamlined process that keeps everything in check.

I think it was I that suggested putting tools under one or two tool tabs. It's okay people get us confused. I'm the good looking Italian short but sweet. LOL

Seriously it's a great way to get a good workflow going to process in a order than you can go back and tweak as you proceed. On a Mac command D is your friend. Process this image

Guy Mancuso

As you work to setup for different screen sizes you can save that workspace say for a 15 inch and create a new 30 inch and save that

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I'm now using a single "untitled session" to access my files (though I have created Catalogs too) and it's working quite well.

I find crashes will occur if I try to do things too quickly - like deleting several files one after another. In fact, that's about the only time I get the spinning beach ball of death. I've got a pretty fast Mac with lots of Ram - but I can't do things too rapidly.

And C1 7 is a memory hog. I hope subsequent versions will work a bit more efficiently.

But the image quality, shadow/highlight and the grad filter are all superb.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Dan its possible it only works with a IQ back because it has the built in leveling in the backs.

Need to confirm this but I think that is the case

EsbenHR

The auto adjustment in keystone does not work!
As others said, we need to be able to read the full orientation of the camera which we can only do for IQ backs.

There is another requirement: the keystone tool in Capture One simulates the geometry obtained with a technical camera. This means that keystoning depends on focal length.

Example: if you take a picture of a circular clock from the ground (think Big Ben) and use the keystone tool in Capture One to get a front view [1], the clock should be circular [2].

One side effect of this is that autokeystone requires that the focal length can be read from from metadata. That is unfortunate, because it means that it does not work on a typical technical camera. Sorry about that...

[1] This correction is too much correction to be recommended. Work with me OK? It is just a way to illustrate the problem.

[2] This is not the case with most software. While you may not notice it much at medium and short focal lengths, it really does suck if you try to stitch.

Hey Jeremy,

Yes, the LA bug was unfortunate but has been fixed so look out for that in 7.0.1.

Catalog comments noted. Please remember though we have many other great features to make it attractive. Sharing catalogs bewteen computers and being able to open more than one or switch catalogs without relaunching for example.

However, I am VERY pleased that you are getting great results image quality wise.

D

I wasn't transitioning from LR as I have my own catalog/metadata system, but from Photoshop. It seems there is a whole lot more in the way of mousing/clicking in C1, though I haven't set up any custom keyboard shortcuts or learned the ones inherent to the system. Tonight I'll spend some more time with the tool tabs and test out different layouts for my 15" and 30" screens.

Maybe I should watch those free videos online, too -- I'm very much a jump in and learn to swim kinda guy.
Hey Jeremy,

Yes, its a good idea. Spend 4 minutes watching to save 20 minutes keyboard bashing. ;)

Capture One Pro 7 imaging software - YouTube

Valentin

Re the default setup: bear in mind that C1's #1 design goal is not making it easier for LR users to switch to C1 (though there is some consideration given there naturally) but to make C1 the best interface possible for it's target users (typically a bit more advanced/pro than the prosumer market LR tends to target). There is always some loss of simplicity when providing such flexibility and power (though we should always push them to keep as much simplicity as possible!).

C1's interface is designed to be customizable to reasonably fit an 11" MBA laptop and expand usefully to a dual-30" monitor setup .... This is a great solution, and since you can save the workspace you only have to make sure changes once.
Hey Jeremy,

Yes, its a good idea. Spend 4 minutes watching to save 20 minutes keyboard bashing. ;)....

Sorry Doug (and Dave),

I'm a pro and I started with C1 and move away when they went to v4. Came back in v6 to try it for portraits. No matter how you word it, LR has a better workflow than C1. Yes, you can create keyboard shortcuts but some things can't be done via keyboard shortcuts.

Like I mentioned in LL forum (where you responded), you need to create workspaces in order to achieve something that I consider basic and necessary: switch from full browser mode, to individual image viewing to processing the image. In LR, you only need to hit either G/E or D. In C1 you need to hit several key combination keys and you can't make a shortcut for changing spaces (the only way to achieve some things). C1 requires use of the mouse a lot more.

For LR, I watched one video when it was introduced and it was done. With C1, I watched (I forgot how many videos) so many videos so many times and I'm still told that I need to take some courses. Even Photoshop requires less training than C1.

Maybe Phase should look at their own past history (aka v3.xx; and yes, you can add things without complicating it) or Adobe when it comes to keeping it simple (although it's good that at least you can customize your tools).

You might think "use LR if you don't like C1". Just like with anything, in some cases LR gives me a better output and in other cases C1 does, thus the reason for me trying to use it (but I will always use LR for weddings).

Another point: C1 Pro, is (supposed) to be designed to work with many cameras thus with all kinds of photographers. C1 started with the DB guys which implies a certain type of photographer and workflow. C1 Pro is for more types of photographers, but that doesn't mean one type is a Pro and the other is a Prosumer.

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

I'll ditto what Bill says...I'm using one session entitled simply "Capture One" with all my RAW file folders listed as favorites in that session. If I don't give the folders time to load when I select a favorite, thats when I have crashes or freezes. My late 2007 top of the line Mac pro with 20 gb ram is kept in top running shape and I've done a couple of clean installs of v7 so it's running pretty well right now. I'm now using C1-7 for all RAW processing and also if I need to up res a file as it does a superb job of that too. With that said, I export all tifs and jpgs to Lightroom and LR takes over from there...organizing, printing, etc. This C1 v7 to LR workflow is working quite well for me. Eleanor

Well, I'm now using a single "untitled session" to access my files (though I have created Catalogs too) and it's working quite well.

I find crashes will occur if I try to do things too quickly - like deleting several files one after another. In fact, that's about the only time I get the spinning beach ball of death. I've got a pretty fast Mac with lots of Ram - but I can't do things too rapidly.

And C1 7 is a memory hog. I hope subsequent versions will work a bit more efficiently.

But the image quality, shadow/highlight and the grad filter are all superb.

Bill

thomas

C1 requires use of the mouse a lot more.
I do not agree. It really depends on how you organize your workflow. I for one use the mouse not that much in C1. In fact C1's custumization options are one of the reasons I like C1 so much. If you take the time to really explore C1's options you'll find it's really fast and straight forward.

I'll ditto what Bill says...I'm using one session entitled simply "Capture One" with all my RAW file folders listed as favorites in that session.
This kind of contradicts C1's design. Sooner or later you'll run into serious issues and for sure C1 will slow down dramatically over time as the "favorite" folders of a session always gets cached in the background on startup. Too, if the session file gets damaged (for whatever reason) you have to rebulit it (which is not really a big deal, though, when your captures all reside in one folder. But when your actual captures reside in different folders rebuilding a damaged session file may be a major issue).

I'd strongly recommend to create a new session for each shooting to keep the number of images within one session relatively low. You can still use the same output folder for all your processed TIFs if you choose to do so (me personally I do not because I also backup the procssed TIFs. Basically I backup entire session folders (preview and focus mask cache excluded) to store my RAWs and the respective TIFs within one parent folder).
If you like C1 do yourself a favour and take the time to learn how to work with sessions. Once you get it's fast and easy ...

Last edited: