The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture One 7 was released this morning.

1) Image Quality is Even Better
Highlight/shadow recovery, sharpness/detail, and noise reduction are are *majorly* improved. This is the largest improvement in one software generation I've ever seen.

2) Full Cataloging, Now Available
Many of the features and power of Media Pro / iView Pro have now been incorporated into Capture One. You can store images inside or outside the catalog, and if an image isn't available (e.g. on a hard drive not plugged in) you can still view, zoom, and adjust the image.

3) dSLR Workflow is More Tightly Integrated
Live View, additional camera controls, and lens corrections for many dSLR systems.

4) Tech Camera Workflow Has Been Greatly Improved
If you're a tech camera shooter then the the time you have to spend at the computer to analyze and apply a few dozen LCCs will drop from half an hour to around a minute.

5) Local Adjustments Are Faster and Better
Graduated filters, opacity control, faster drawing, a time saving "fill" feature and other improvements.

6) Capture Pilot now also works from any web browser
The live review and control feature app previously limited to use with an iPad, has been opened up to any web browser, local or remote.

7) A Bunch of Nice "Small Touches" Were Added
Manual sorting, # of images per folder label, the ability to flip/mirror the image, defaults settable for any given camera, and more

8) It's a First Release; Treat it Accordingly
Every company (Apple, Adobe, Phase etc) release X.0 versions. If you have a high pressure shoot tomorrow in front of an important client then don't blindly jump ship to version 7. There will be a few bugs.

9) The Catalog Feature is Optional; Sessions are Still Welcome
If you use and love "sessions" in v6 you can continue using sessions in v7.

10) The Retail Price is $299, or $99 as an Upgrade.
You can use the promo code DT3535 at the phase one online store to get 10% off new and upgrade orders.

11) If you've purchased v6 since Photokina then v7 is free
Phase One will be sending you an email in the next week to that effect

12) Many of the speed improvements are not manifest in 10.8, yet
At the moment OpenCL is not supported under 10.8.x. This should change in the near future.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, contact your local dealer for a code in your region. The idea is to have a relationship with the entity that is nearby and can provide you support, training, etc (in your own language). Phase One provides support online via support cases and are very good about getting back to you fast, but it's still better if you buy from a local dealer and maintain a relationship with them. The promo codes incentivize that.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Doh! Paid the upgrade fee before reading that point about the discount code. And after all those tests in school where READING THE INSTRUCTIONS was the whole point...:facesmack:

Seriously, $99 is pretty good for this upgrade. It is stellar!

--Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
O, #13 of things you need to know... if you open an image in v7 which was edited in v6 the look will not change (which is great IMO - I don't want my images changing without my approval). Under the "Base Characteristics" tool you can select to change the processing engine behind used to the v7 engine. That will allow you to access the improved image quality.

Aviv1887

I'm unable to download C1 7 in the US. The download gets stuck everytime again. Anybody else experiencing this?? Perhaps P1 server is getting overloaded with requests.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Im going to move this thread into the image processing section
Makes sense.

is there also a v7 for the digital back copy?
Yes.

Phase One provides the full functionality of Capture One for digital backs owners under the "DB" version. Identical to pro, but only works with digital back files. This continues with version 7 and beyond.

Hey Doug,

Does V7 support the MBP Retina Display?
Yes.

I received "Server Error 500" when I tried to download with Firefox, but when I tried Safari instead it immediately started downloading.

Stefan Steib

One tip for the people who want to use the browser on the right - there is no such setting as a standard in C1-7 .I have not found a way to move it manually so- to get this anyway, don´t yet delete your version 6. Use the menue to get the right browser, save this as your workspace. Then switch to C1-7. You will now find it in a workplace list to chose from former versions, chose 6.3.4 and voila the browser moves right. To make sure you have this in the future, save it as Browser right.

I´m still testing, but it seems it rebuilds ALL previews now which may take DAYS on my (huge)library to finish. At the moment I cannot work anymore with it as the progress wheel is spinning permanently since some hours now.
And with the exception of the first folder I did I cannot see any previews now.

Will report of the progress tomorrow.

Regards
Stefan