The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CO7 Catalog Merge... Is this possible

sc_john

I am contemplating a structure of 2 catalogs, Archive catalog for finished images on an external HD, and an In-Process catalog on internal HD. However, I cannot figure if or how the files can be moved from In-Process to Archive when I am finished processing them. Simply moving the finished files to the external HD and importing into Archive catalog will get the images there, BUT won't get the adjustments or modified metadata into the Archive catalog. The image adjustments and added metadata are in the In-Process catalog and not with the images. Is there a way to migrate the finished image, metadata and adjustments to the Archive file? Is this better done using Sessions for in-process work and then merging the session into Archive catalog... if so how are sessions merged into catalog? Thanks.

John

Hi John,

It is possible in a slightly round about way, so I guess you can say a Catalog merge function would be possible.

If you goto File>Export/Originals then you can get the original out of your In-Process catalog with all adjustments/meta data etc. Then in your archive catalog you can import them back in.

David

sc_john

HI David,

Thanks for the response. That works well for processed files (tiff, psd, etc). Any way of getting the raw file with process adjustments, metadata, etc into archive file?

Thanks.

John

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The RAWs and adjustments are exported ...

EXCEPT

... until it is fixed, exporting adjustments from a Catalog does NOT export the local adjustment masks. If you have spent a lot of time painting those tree limbs, you are stuck until 7.1 comes out.

Phase One - soon, please?

--Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Batch exporting is ok (once the local adjustment mask bug is fixed). But a formal option to merge/combine catalogs would be a better option as well.

I'd imagine we've only seen the very beginning of what will be a growing toolset for catalog management in v7.

sc_john

The RAWs and adjustments are exported ...

--Matt
Matt, David

When I "export original" with "Include Adjustments" checked, I get the original raw image with NO adjustments. When I "export variant", I get the modified image... BUT not as a raw (selections are tiff, jpeg, PSD, etc.).

Is the "export" command supposed to provide raw with all adjustments (levels, curves, etc.) included. Note, I did not use adjustment layers in this test.

John

MGrayson

John,

Check your export folder. Aside from the exported RAWs, there should be another folder inside it with all the exported adjustments.

--Matt

sc_john

Matt,

The Capture One folder is in the export folder, and it contains another folder "Settings70"... which contains .cos files for each of the images. However, these are apparently not being seen on import to the Archive Catalog, notwithstanding "include adjustments" is checked. I will redo the test on my desktop; perhaps my laptop has a compromised install of CO7 due to previous crashes. Thanks.

John

sc_john

Ran test on desktop, and results same as laptop. I can export tiff file (or jpeg, PSD, etc) with adjustments from WIP catalog to Archive catalog. However, I cannot send raw images with adjustments from WIP catalog to Archive catalog. Bummer!

John

Hey John,

We have had some issues of including Local Adjustment masks but not completely bypassing the settings.

When you try to import your RAW files with adjustments, you haven't moved the Capture One folder or settings folder? Just leaving it as is?

D

sc_john

Hello David,

"When you try to import your RAW files with adjustments, you haven't moved the Capture One folder or settings folder? Just leaving it as is?"

I left the Capture One folder untouched...left it as is. Suspecting that CO7 may have been corrupted due to crashes, I uninstalled and reinstalled CO7. Still have the same issues.

Step 1: Images stored in test "Archive" catalog. Images were adjusted for appearance, metadata, etc. All changes appear properly in "Archive" catalog.

Step 2: Created a test "In-Process" catalog and imported images. Images were adjusted for appearance, metadata, etc. All changes appear properly in "In-Process" catalog.

Step 3: Exported raw files from "In-Process catalog to "Temporary" folder (including adjustments). Then, imported the raw files with adjustments into "Archive" catalog. When storing files in origin folder ("Temporary") during import to "Archive", the "Archive" catalog displays properly with all adjustments. However, if I choose to store imported files in "Archive" (vs. leave them in "Temporary"), the adjustments do not appear in "Archive".

So, no joy creating a catalog for all In-Process raw files and moving them to Archive upon completion. I can move processed tiffs, jpegs, etc... but not raw. FWIW, I am working with Phase One (P40+) and NEF (D800e) raw files.

Thanks for your help and interest.

John

MGrayson

John,

This sounds like a perfect case for opening a support ticket. It can be frustrating and involve some back and forth before the support person "gets it", but this is the only way these issues will reliably get fixed. I feel much better knowing that Phase One knows exactly what doesn't work for me.

Good luck,

Matt

M

Mark Schretlen

I think you might be better off looking at catalogs as a tracking system rather than as a repository. By this I mean you could easily solve your issue with just a single catalog (but with a "new" catalog replacing an "old" catalog of the same name).

To use your example, you have an "A" drive (Archive) and an "I" drive (In-process). You have one catalog called "2012 Q4" which has cataloged all the stuff on A. In CO7 you open "2012 Q4" and add a folder (Library tab) for I. Within CO7 drag and drop all the images that you plan to work with into the I folder. Back up the catalog "2012 Q4" to somewhere on the I drive (using the CO7 file menu). If the "I" drive were attached to a laptop without access to "A", you could do all of your in-process work on the files using the new catalog "2012 Q4" (as long as you had CO7 installed on the laptop). You would not need to access the "A" drive in order to run catalog "2012 Q4". You could also import new images into the laptop "I" drive, work on them, and catalog them. Once you have returned home, you could delete the catalog old "2012 Q4" residing on drive "A" and replace it with the up-to-date "2012 Q4" residing on drive "I". Within CO7 I would then move the laptop files on drive "I" back into drive "A".

On a side note, I ingest my images into an "V" drive (Vault) and into a duplicate file structure "A" drive "Archive". The images on V never see any action unless the "A" drive goes down. Catalog back-ups also go onto the V drive. If "A" goes down, I would just change V to A with the admin tools and carry on (I would likely mirror V first though). The only thing I have to remember to do is to make sure my "V" drive is current after travel.

sc_john

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. Your appoach makes sense, and I will run a test on it. My biggest problem has been getting the files with adjustments from "In-Process" catalog to "Archive" catalog, which your approach avoids. Hopefully Phase One will address this in the near term. In the meantime, I want to minimize handling of Archive catalog due to instability of CO7, which I am sure will improve.

John