The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody doing focus stacking?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have posted a couple using focus stacking. Of course it is very sensitive to subject motion; grape leaves waving in the air or the moon moving, for example, but it is still pretty useful.
I tried both with Helicon Focus and with CS4 align. CS4 is a little more direct since it makes masks that are readily apparent, whereas with Helicon focus, you have to first select that the masks be made visible, then edit them in a different program (I used PS). Helicon's masks are more like relative weight files, rather than masks, so I found it more work to edit those to eliminate subject motion. I only used 3-4 slices, perhaps more are necessary to achieve maximum benefit.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just tried the version in CS4 and it didn't work very well, so DL'd Helicon and must say it's pretty impressive. Here are two examples. Three images, one per bottle, quickly captured with simple lighting using my P45+ with 150 lens at f5.6. First one is the Helicon auto blend and the second is the front bottle frame.

M

moggi1964

In astro-imaging a program that is commonly used is Registax or ImagesPlus .

I have used it a couple of times to stack 15 or 20 shots but I know that people have done it with hundreds of shots with excellent output.

This is an example of 8x5 minute subs stacked using a Canon XS (couldn't find an Oly one quickly) taken by Mike. B. from cloudynights forum.

The signal/noise ratio is excellent on astro shots.

Last edited: