The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus RAW conversion, preferred workflow?

C

Cam era

I searched this forum and didn't find threads related to ORF file conversion, so sorry if this has been beaten to death before.

For my Nikon NEF files I switch between CNX2 and LR4 and I'm satisfied with either program for basic edits then conversion. Recently adding the OMD-EM5 to my toy shelf I have been happy using LR. But I'm wondering if the Olympus view/RAW development tool is designed to refine the ORD files better than 3rd party software. I tried a couple frames to compare results and cannot see even a difference that I can say is better or worse. I so often hear people claim that the camera makers' RAW converters is always the preferred workflow. But I'm not clear if that only applies if you do your edits first before saving as a TIFF or JPEG, or if it also applies to opening the RAW file and immediately converting and saving, then editing. I think my question is leaning towards "is olympus RAW conversion software worth the effort of getting familiar with"? I find it to be so slow cumbersome and unintuitive, much like silkypix for panny files. I'm using LR4 now for Nikon, Canon (G12), Panasonic (GF1), and now for ORF. But the OMD seems like such a refined and customizable camera my concern is that I might be throwing some of that refinement away by not using the proprietory software.
Then again I might be over thinking this. :deadhorse:

smartwombat

I haven't found any manufacturer's software satisfactory; Canon, Panasonic, Olympus - like you i'm using LR4 for everything.
I think the only thing I"m missing out on is the lens corrections, but I don't want the frustration of the Olympus software.

I haven't found any manufacturer's software satisfactory; Canon, Panasonic, Olympus - like you i'm using LR4 for everything.
I think the only thing I"m missing out on is the lens corrections, but I don't want the frustration of the Olympus software.
Lens correction information (for Olympus combos lens distortion only) are written in the metadata and used in the background by LR.