The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS4 Upgraded Graphics Card note

Hi All:
I recently upgraded my graphics card on my MacPro to take advantage of the GPU features in CS4. I bought a ATI HD 3870 (mac & pc edition). I quickly noticed that there was a color mismatch between C1 4 and CS 4. Colors in CS4 were flatter and less saturated. I found in the Preferences/Performance/GPU Setting/Advanced there is a check box for Color Matching that needs to be checked. The best way to see if everything is correct is to launch the same file in CS3 and CS4 at the same time and compare colors. CS3 does not use the GPU. I wasted a bunch of time on this so I thought I'd try to save someone else's time.
Cheers!

robsteve

Subscriber
Does using the GPU make CS4 draw any quicker?

I tired the CS4 demo earlier in the week and the GPU drawing looked like it was slower. As I zoomed in and out it seemed to pause to render, while with CS3, the resizes are instantaneous.

Is there any point to the GPU if you are not doing 3d or vector, but just normal photos?

Robert

Hi Robert:

I saw a demo in NY of CS4 and it quite quick redrawing, zooming, panning, etc. The new card helps but it's not super fast as I'd like it to be. I'll see if it's worth it over the next 10 days before my return windows closes.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting I have a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT which is standard on the mac pro and it is 126mg of Vram and a couple times opening several larger files i ran into a warning and Jack confirmed he has as well that we exceeded the open GL. What I am really wondering here is if a 256 Vram card would actually be better and faster. Now this Open Gl is all about redraw, zooming and such and so far it does a nice job but wondering if I did bump it up to a 256 card this would actually improve the redraw and zooming performance and let me open more files without that warning. This seems like a great question for Adobe and not sure if anyone has posed this but certainly worth investigating. Jeff you may hold the answer with your new card

robsteve

Subscriber
I think I figured out what I had wrong. In the use GPU, I needed to select advance options and select "use for image display."

It is now much quicker in zooming and unless I pan really fast at 100%, there is no delay to redraw the image.

I am using a Macbook Pro attached to a 24" cinema display. The notebooks has aGeForce 8600M GT with 256mb of video ram.

Robert

T

tetsrfun

I had to upgrade from the 2600 XT to a 3870 because Phocus uses the GC and with the 2600 the software was too slow to be useable. Apple now offers the 8800 GT for the first gen Mac Pro.

Steve

The card I have is a 512 card, pretty quick but not perfect. There's still a delay in redrawing to full-res at 100%.

The 8800 card has 2 versions, one for 1st gen MacPro and one for 2nd gen. I decided against this card for my 1st gen since it will be unusable in any new machine whereas the HD 3870 may well work in a new gen MacPro.

T

tetsrfun

So for the first gen. Mac Pro the 8800GT which i have a first gen 2.66 dual core
I just upgraded to CS4 on 1st gen + HD3870. Initial impression is CS4 runs much faster than CS3 on same the system. Due to it's utilization of the GC?

Steve