The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Installing CS5 on new Notebook PC

gurtch

Hi all. We are still not back in our home after Sandy ( no power yet). We are living at a friend's home, and I am forced to use an ancient notebook, 2 gb RAM, Windows XP. My files are huge (Pentax 645D, and D800E), and the notebook chokes trying to run these files through Photoshop. I can buy a new notebook with 8 gb RAM for about $650. I know I will have to deactivate PS on the old notebook. My CS 5 was an upgrade from CS3. Will I be able to install CS 5 upgrade if the earlier version is not on the new notebook? I have the disks for earlier versions at home, but they are also upgrades. The new PCs are running Windows 8. Any issues with 8 and PS? I also just bought Lightroom 4 ( not installed yet), but intend to install it on the new PC. I really hate changing PCs, as I have a bunch of down loaded plug ins, etc, that will need to be re- down load. Lastly: At home I use a calibrated and profiled monitor, using Spyder Pro, and my prints match my monitor. I will probably have to wait until I return home for serious tweaks before printing. My Spyder Pro DOES have a feature for notebooks....is this a waste of time? I know where profiles are installed on Win 7, but have no clue where they end up in 8. I may check the retailer if I can get Win 7 64 bit in lieu of Win 8 .
Thanks for the help.
Dave in NJ