The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blacks & Shadows: Capture One Versus LR

Sapphie

I know that C1 is mainly for developing RAWs but sometimes I may want to process JPEGs or TIFFs exported from other applications.

With LR, I have the ability to move the Blacks and Shadows sliders to the left to alter the tone curve of such images. With C1 the Shadow slider is already at the far left so cannot be used to darken blacks and shadows. I guess I need to use Levels or Curve to achieve this? The LR slider approach seems much easier to me!

Lee

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I know that C1 is mainly for developing RAWs but sometimes I may want to process JPEGs or TIFFs exported from other applications.

With LR, I have the ability to move the Blacks and Shadows sliders to the left to alter the tone curve of such images. With C1 the Shadow slider is already at the far left so cannot be used to darken blacks and shadows. I guess I need to use Levels or Curve to achieve this? The LR slider approach seems much easier to me!

Lee
Correct, use levels (or curves for more fine grain control at the cost of a few more seconds of thinking/evaluation).

When comparing sliding "levels (the black clip point)" and "shadow"... Either way you're sliding a control over to the right "to taste"... What's easier about LR? Possibly more "discoverable", but now that you've discovered it... What's the difference?

Sapphie

Hi Doug

Thanks and I am sure it is just a case of familiarisation. Perhaps you have some '12 things Lightroom users should know about C1'?

Or more generally, does anyone have any schedule of tests they perform when comparing raw converters? Even with C1's relatively generous 60 days trial period, time can fly by and one can still end up being confused which may be the 'best', leaving aside the fact that some converters may just be better for some cameras than others.

Shall I start a list?

Retention of inherent DR
Ability to bring out fine detail without introducing artefacts
Ability to hold/recover highlights
Ability to boost shadows
Color accuracy (real or perceived) and ability to hold that when manipulation levels etc
NR - is it too aggressive or too light, can it be easily applied?
Sharpening - is it too aggressive or too light, can it be easily applied?

Any more? That's leaving aside the more general features and usability issues, though they can be vital when making a choice.

Thanks
Lee