The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D55 or D65?

tjv

Hi all,

I just got an Eizo ColorEdge GC246 with built in calibration device.
Eizo recommends D55 as the target white point for general photographic imagery for outputting to print, with a gamma of 2.2 and luminance of 100. I'm just wanting to check if this is the general consensus with others who own high end monitors? (I'm talking ball park here, as I know it is largely dependant on individual working environments, etc.) I ask because most literature I've read has suggested D65 as the white point.

Most of my prints are outputted to either inkjet using matte rag papers (usually of a slight warm base) or for larger prints I use Lightjet / LED printing services on Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

TJV

thomas

actually, as mentioned, the white point of the monitor should match a neutral paper white under controlled viewing/lighting conditions. If you can't control the ambient light you have to calibrate to an average white point. 5500K to 5800K is a good average for interiors lit by diffuse, indirect daylight.
6500K is almost always too cool ... unless you use dedicated D65 lighting.

Shashin

Monitors calibrated to D65, viewing condition D50 both for home and the printing lab. I find this the ideal situation, also recommended in Real World Color Management by Fraser et al.

tjv

It's an interesting one because I find that the new iMac screens can't handle a D55 calibration and it's better to go D65 or, usually better, Native WP. It's like the gamut is too narrow and the backlighting is too intense, even when tuned to a target luminance of 100. The resulting D55 has a strong warm cast to it and the neutral greys are obviously not right – even after giving my eyes time to adjust. The same can be said, although to a lesser extent, at D65. The Eizo calibrated to D55 on the other hand looks neutral and with broad, smooth tonal traditions. I've never tried it at D65.

It's a complicated set of technology, all right!

Stuart Richardson

I have a CG275W and usually use 5500k and proof under 5000K lighting. For whatever reason, the monitor at 5500k matches the 5000k lighting better than when I set the monitor to 5000K...I use Solux MR16 bulbs, which are CRI 100 and they work very very well. Hopefully they will find a good solution once they are phased out!