The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

profiles/color space

jlm

Workshop Member
i have a confusion over this; thought I knew the difference, but: I load an M8 file (set to Adobe rgb in camera) in C1 and choose one of the M-8 profiles, tweak and process to a tiff. Then when I load it into CS3, it asks if I want to convert that profile to the working space, Adobe rgb, or leave alone.

what is going on here? I thought the profile was a massaging of image color values, not a change of working space.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John we will show you this at the workshop how to set yourself up. But if you are shooting RAW with your M8 setting any color space in the M8 will not matter. Raw has no set color space until you go to process it in a raw converter. Now in C1 you set up the color space you want to work in. i would use Prophoto this gives you a very wide color space to work in and also set it for 16 bit Tiff. So process the files like that , than in CS3 you need to set up the color management to Prophoto also . So now when you bring the files in CS3 they have the same color space and not a mismatch. Hope that helps for now. but will will cover all of this on the first day along with calibration of monitors and such.

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks guy; i get it about the in camera setting and using raw. but C1 allows you to choose among various camera profiles as well as an output profile (I had been using the M-8 low-sat camera profile, and adobe rgb s output) but cs3 sees the camera profile, not the adobe rgb i had set when it askes about keeping or converting.

I will go to prophoto for sure, but wonder what happens to the camera profiles?

robsteve

Subscriber
The camera profiles in C1 are input profiles. C1 uses the input profiles of the M8 to fine tune the conversion from RAW to compensate for how they (Capture
One) think it should look versus what the M8 RAW creates.

The output profiles are used when C1 saves the file to open in Photoshop. You should set your output profile as Guy suggests.

Somebody more experienced in this may be able to explain it better, but input profiles are used when importing from a device and correct for any defficiencies in the device. Output profiles are just getting it into a standardized color space.

Jamie Roberts' M8 profiles were an example of an input profile correcting a defficiency in a device (IR) before then converting to a standard profile for further work on the file.

Robert

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
I discovered i had "embed camera profile" set in C1 instead of use "convert to destination" in the process section.
that is why CS3 kept seeing the camera profiles.
I also have the destination space set as Prophoto instead of aRGB