The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Unable to achieve target brightness in calibration

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It appears as if the target brightness level of 90 cd/m is no longer possible on my Eizo CG211. In fact, for the past few months the calibration has been coming up with lower values each time. Today I was only able to get 75.6 out of it. Is this a sign that the monitor is on its way out? I can't remember exactly but guess that it's around 5+ years old. Should I be thinking of a replacement?

Thanks!
Tim

robertwright

After several years the fluorescents can't make the brightness any more and its slips. my 23" cinema display is now 7 years old and is not really at the level specified in the spyder software.

I think it depends on the room ambient brightness bc it can still seem bright in a dark room. but in a brighter room its flat.

since we have rgb numbers and clipping warnings it might not matter much. it depends on output., if you are making prints and they are not in line with what you are seeing then it would be a problem.

but if the prints still resemble the screen then it makes no difference.

none of my clients have said- hey you stuff is too bright, and when I see it reproduced it is the same essentially as I saw it so I am going to wait till it dies totally to replace I think.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the reply. I guess my fear is that the monitor will go terminal when I can least afford the time to replace it. I'd rather be ahead of the curve if in fact the diminishing ability to achieve correct brightness levels is a sign of decline.

On the other hand, if the problem is unrecognizable by anyone else, I could limp along for a bit longer and try and get the most from my investment.

Tim

robertwright

...and eizos are expensive.

All of my work goes to publishing or editorial. Since there is no "prepress" any more I guess we are saved by the fact that everyone is more or less on bog standard imacs or apple displays and are all uncalibrated. So there is a lot of fudge there. Anyway the paper you find in most magazines these days is so bad it just crushes everything anyway. So it all comes out in the end.

My epson3800 seems to come pretty close with oem profiles, and the HPZ3100 has a spectro, it makes profiles that are really really close. I profile with a spyder.

I have been holding off on the new LED cinema display bc then I'd need a new spyder bc the model I have does not support LED displays. So its money that is no fun to spend:(

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A little follow up to this thread. I took delivery yesterday of my Eizo CG276W and have been playing all day with my first two-monitor setup. That part of it is a little hard to get used to, but I am starting to warm up to it. As for the new 27" self-calibrating Eizo... wow.

Maybe it's a good idea to wait awhile between new gear so that the enhancements have a real impact but I am wicked impressed with the sheer loveliness of what I see now. A good part of the lovely must certainly be the bump in resolution. And the 27" size seems like a perfect fit for my needs. 30" would be overwhelming in my working space.

So now to start the testing phase and the endless experiments with how best to use the 2 monitors. As a start, I have email and browser on the smaller, secondary monitor. Which is pretty cool since I don't have to switch windows for those when I'm working.

So a happy ending. I'm going back to gazing at how good my images look.

Best,
Tim