The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here using CaptureOne to process Leica S2 files

pesto

I am in the midst of switching horses from PhaseOne to Leica S. Over time, I have become quite comfortable with Capture One software while haveing had essentially no experience / training within Light Room. Are there any reasons that I should consider switching to LR despite my comfort with C1?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Douglas Benson

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just processed this DNG with the S2 profile in C1 v7:

Leica S2-P C One

I normally use LR into PS as my workflow, but C One does work.

Bob

pesto

Hello Bob,
Great image. My question pertains more to choice than necessity. From what I have observed, it appears that the majority of S2 users prefer the Adobe path in one form or another to C1 and I wonder why; is there a specific advantage or is it simply preference. I have thought that C1 renders images with a "look" that I really like; that along with my unfamiliarity with Lightroom will probably have me remaining with C1 unless there is of some advantage with Lightroom that I have yet to realize...hence my question.

Douglas Benson.

docmoore

My take on it is that LR has progressed over the past couple of years to the point that Capture One no longer has a substantial advantage whether one considers raw development, noise reduction or workflow in regards to the S cameras. When Phase dropped Leica it seems like Adobe really made a decent effort to support the Leica range of cameras. Just my opinion.

I personally loved C1 but tired of it throwing five to ten extra folders into every path when it developed a series of pictures...never could get used to that. LR has a very sophisticated workflow and very good profiles ... even lenses for the cameras have corrections profiled in LR.

One can do a roundtrip LR to edit in PS which is saved and recognized by LR. I also appreciate the ability to have NIK and other filters available in both LR and PS.

C1 may still be a bit easier to balance color but it is doable in LR/PS just a bit more work is needed.

If anything I would say that the built in profiles for LR and the very advanced highlight correction and noise reduction make it a great choice for S cameras.

Would be worth your effort to compare the two for a bit with respect to output and you may find you use LR the majority of the time...keep C1 for any file that does not seem to work in LR/PS...it may not in C1 but your option is there should you want it.

Bob

pesto

Hello Bob,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It sounds as though I should at least give LR a try although I suspect that this will be a steep learning curve for me.

Douglas Benson

pesto

A follow up question: Although I have never opened it, I currently have LR 3.6 on my Mac. Until I decide to switch from C1, is there any reason to update LR 4...any differences that would impact my decision or just tweaks and such?

Last edited:

docmoore

Actually major improvements in sharpening, noise reduction and highlight mids lows adjustments...so at some point you will benefit...as it is all non-destructive editing updates are easily accomplished.

Bob

pesto

Yes, I do know that..I was just kidding. Thanks again for all of your thoughts. I think I will be watching the Adobe tutorials for a while. In fact, one of the elements that I liked most about C1 was the sharpening process, so this will be interesting.
Thanks again!!!

Douglas Benson.