The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal Windows OS for CaptureOne Pro 7?

I've just recently inherited an older HP laptop that I thought might work well as a dedicated CaptureOne Pro 7 tethering machine for my P40+ MFDB.

Question is, what OS should I load on it?

Specs. are:

HP Compaq 6910p
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2400 MHz
2 GB RAM (upgradable to 8GB)
120 GB SATA HDD 5400RPM (of course, upgradable to SSD)
Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics

OS needs to be 64 bit for C1 7, but other than that, I'm flexible. I can get pretty much any version of Windows (XP x64, Vista, Server, 7, 8...).

I've heard good things about Windows 8 on older hardware, but have no first-hand experience.

I know it's no MacBook Pro with Retina display, but it also didn't cost me anything.

Cheers!

GregMO

I am running Windows 8, but on a new desktop. It runs very smoothly and is very fast compared to XP which I had on my last 2 computers. Can't comment on the other OS's.
If you go with 8, you are safe on Microsoft updates for the future.
I would max out your RAM & upgrade to an SSD for at least the OS & programs (that's what I have done and use a few HD's for storage).

Lars

WRT performance, Windows 8 is an impressive upgrade from Windows 7. Add the touch capability and presumably more updates down the road and it's a no-brainer. I've downloaded and used C1 on Win8 64-bit, seems to run OK.

Now, a BIG challenge with upgrading an older laptop is finding drivers. Don't take it for granted that HP wants you to use an older device with the latest and greatest Windows. Especially that old computer you are describing, that hardware dates quite a few years back? 2008? Desktop drivers are easier to find. Run Microsoft's update validation tool to find out how much of your hardware Windows 8 will support.

Consider what you can get today for $1000 - for example a Lenovo Yoga 13 with 3rd gen Core i5, IPS screen 1600x900, 128 GB SSD.

Good points. Thanks.

Basically just want to see what this can do. If it works, great...if not, no loss. I just don't want to waste time installing and trying multiple OSs.