The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Emulating Multi-exposure in CS

rga

I can't seem to find anything that tells/shows me how to emulate multiple exposures like I used to do in film. With film you could calc the exposure, divide that by the number of multiple exposures and shoot away. (landscape on a tripod: made waves look great)

I'm trying to emulate that in PS. I have multiple exposures from on a tripod and just can't figure out how to make it work in PS. Have, for example, created 2 layers in CS and tried to reduce the opacities of each layer mask by 50%, but no luck.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

rga

Do you mean is the layer mask black? If that's what you're asking, no. How would that work?
Thanks,
Bob

Shashin

No, I mean you have three layers with the bottom layer simply black and the two images with opacity above it.

rga

No, I mean you have three layers with the bottom layer simply black and the two images with opacity above it.
Thanks Sashin. No, I haven't tried that but will tonight.
As I'm an idiot in all this, can you tell me how to create a black layer?
Any help is much appreciated,
Bob

Shashin

If one of your images is labelled as background in the layers palette, double click on it and simply click the OK button which should unlock the layer. The label should be layer 0.

You should be able to go into the layer option menu and create a new layer. Fill that layer with black--the paint bucket tool should work fine. Drag that layer in the layer palette to the bottom.

That is probably not the end of your double-exposure process. But that should start you down the road.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, another way to do this is to load all of your images as layers and simply select all and change the blend mode to lighten (or screen). I use Dr Russell Brown's Image Services 2.3.1 scripts in Bridge to automate this (Stack-a-matic)