The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nik Software---full collection now $149

BenH

I just downloaded the NIK Collection which is free if you already own one of the NIK plug-ins. I already had Silver Effects Pro 2 so the full collection of plug-ins
was free. I almost just deleted the email from Google thinking it was spam. Fortunately I did a search and found that it was legitimate.

Ben

cerett

Thank you!!! I had already deleted it thinking it was spam. Retrieved it from my trash folder and will proceed to download.

D&A

Have some questions for everyone who received the e-mail, as I did. I downloaded but didn't install yet. I was a regitered user of one of their plug-ins. Why all of a sudden are they offering all their plug-ins free to someone who might have purchased one in the past? There has to be some sort of reason? One of the things I noticed regarding the e-mail I received, was the "download" button in the e-mail didn't work but viewing it as a webpage did.

On that webpage though there is a small line to click if one wants to update their profile. I clicked on this and it took me to a generic type page with selections to update personal info, preferences etc. I wanted to check if indeed this e-mail was ligit and they had my info on file. Yet when I clicked on personal info, nothing came up, just a click flash of a web address on the lower part of the window that was opened. Anyone experiecne such a thing?

I may have one other questions about installation since I had an issue with their plug-ins some time ago but in any case, I'll first wait to hear what peoples thoughts are regarding what I observed. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Braeside

I purchased some Nik plugins a few years ago for Aperture, but never paid for any upgrades. I was really only using Silver Efex Pro, the first version.

I was surprised to get the email offering the complete set free! Initially I was suspicious, no such thing as a free lunch etc. However a few checks on the various photography sites did indeed verify this is perfectly legit, not a scam.

I downloaded and installed the Mac collection, and all works fine.

Thank you Google/Nik.

D&A

With regards to my previous post I attempted to double click on the downloaded file and it appears to be a non recognizable file type and won't open. I tried downloading again from the provided link 3-4 x and the same thing happened. Now when I try to attempt download, it says I exceeded my download limit. So here I have some sort of download that won't do anything and can't attempt another download. A bit maddening.

Dave (D&A)

Braeside

Oh, one more idea, if it is the PC version that you downloaded (and you are not using XP because that won't work), then make sure the file has the .exe extension, I read that sometimes it does not, so rename it so it does end in .exe and it should be fine.

Hope that helps.

D&A

Oh, one more idea, if it is the PC version that you downloaded (and you are not using XP because that won't work), then make sure the file has the .exe extension, I read that sometimes it does not, so rename it so it does end in .exe and it should be fine.

Hope that helps.
Thanks ever so much David. While doing a web search on this very topic late last night, I came across the exact same problem you mentioned. Namely on a windows PC (XP and possible some other Windows OS's), the downloaded file has to be renamed with the suffix of .exe. Once I did that, it opened and installed perfectly. Hard to say why the windows version downloads the way it does without a proper "exe" to open the executable file?

Maybe the more pertinent question is why all of a sudden is Nik (Google) proving all this software free of charge to uses who might happen to own even a single old plug-in of theirs? Something has to be up either with a new set of programs or plug-ins that will greatly superseded these and hoping to get people "hooked" on using them. Has anyone come up to a theory as to why? (providing six free plug-in?)

Dave (D&A)

Braeside

My thoughts on why Google did this:

Nik's plugins were overpriced in the current market, Nik would find it difficult to drop the price, but Google as the new owners didn't have the same problem with losing face.

So they dramatically adjusted the prices of the plugins to make them more competitive. Good move, but then faced the anger of those that had paid the big bucks previously, hence the brilliant move to stem any criticism - give previous Nik customers the whole lot for nothing. Problem solved rather neatly.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I purchased the full set in 2009, but have not received any emails about this version being free. Have any other users NOT received notification from Google? (Spam folders checked...)

--Matt

Braeside

Did you transfer registration from Nik to Google? I believe you may have had to do that to receive the email offer.

Braeside

Transfer to Google Here
(You had the choice of opting out) There is a contact address there you may want to try. Did you register your product with Nik?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
David,

All Nik links go to the main Google product page - I can buy, but not register. And If I try to launch Nik plugin now, I just get a Google Try or Buy screen. I've opened a ticket with Google and sent them my purchase order number.. we'll see.

Thanks,

Matt

Braeside

Hi Matt, Hopefully they can help, I imagine that they are rather snowed under just now with this sort of problem.

toobacat

If you use the code DZISER, it will give you a 20% discount off the $149 price. I don't know how long this code is good for, but it just worked for me.

stephengilbert

If you are eligible for the free download but didn't get the email from Nik, you can contact them and get things sorted. I hadn't received it, so I sent them an email. I got a fairly prompt reply asking for my product key. I sent it to them, and they sent a download link.

Amin

The Nik email for the free download was in my spam/junk folder, and a LOT of other people are finding it there also. The email is titled "Thanks for your support: upgrade to the new Nik Collection by Google" and was sent out on March 25th. Worth checking for that before contacting Nik support.

Addendum: Guy said it was okay for me to share my Nik affiliate coupon code here. It is "MU-43" and gets you the same 15% off as the other coupon code shared two posts up in this thread (brings the price down to $126.65). Only difference is that the referral credit goes to me instead of D. Ziser. Thanks, Guy!

As an aside, I don't know if the final shipping version of the new Leica M will have the banding issue we've seen in some of the early firmware samples, but if it does, Nik Dfine has a wonderful de-banding capability that will address the issue with little fuss.

Last edited: