The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photoshop goes subscription only

gazwas

Dave, Adobe is only bothered about the next gereration of creative (quote Adobe CEO) who will probably get sucked into what seems a relatively cheap way of getting all the Adobe software they can shake a stick at. They will never have known any different and once Adobe get enough of the impressionable "next generation" hooked you can bet development cost will rise and so will the price. That is how I view this, a long term price hike and nothing more.

So to the current and old school gereration...... Screw us!

RVB

Dave, Adobe is only bothered about the next gereration of creative (quote Adobe CEO) who will probably get sucked into what seems a relatively cheap way of getting all the Adobe software they can shake a stick at. They will never have known any different and once Adobe get enough of the impressionable "next generation" hooked you can bet development cost will rise and so will the price. That is how I view this, a long term price hike and nothing more.

So to the current and old school gereration...... Screw us!
Looks like CS6 is going to be in use for years to come.. I would like to see Phase add more support to C1P,and a few new feature's..

donbga

CC doesn't stand for Creative Cloud but rather Credit Card!

I'm current with my versions of PS and LR and currently I can't see why I need to support an endless subscription model since these two products do everything I need. Yes there will be new killer features offered as bait but I'll wait for a competitive plugin.

Support Nik, OnOne, Topaz and so forth. I think they will be filling a void.

Don Bryant

robertwright

there is some irony that Adobe has killed a lot of their base customers needs with Lr. I rarely go into Ps except to retouch, and with that, CS3-5 would suffice.

How long till Lr is subscription only?

pfigen

As I've said both on LuLa and Fred Miranda, if Adobe's idea of renting you software forever doesn't piss you off, then their completely ****ed up licensing terms and conditions surely will - unless you're one of the three or four Adobe apologists out there trying desperately to defend the indefensible.

Seriously, I have yet to run into a single person, with the aforementioned few aside, that thinks this is anything but a blatant money grab and an attempt to show their corporate accountants a more even (and considerably larger) flow of income, every day, week and month, not just the big spikes they see every 18-24 months currently.

It seems that most casual users will hang on to CS6 as long as will still run on current hardware, but professionals who by their very professional nature, need to keep current versions to service clients, are left with no choice other than to join the Creative Cloud and agree to the most heinous terms and conditions I've ever seen. These make the crap that X-Rite tried to foist on us a couple of years ago seem tame by comparison.

fotografz

This is a big business move to get all the zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses, etc. on a steady income generating stream for Adobe rather than a once in a while upgrade path that any company could skip in down times. The regular pro photographer and advanced amateur are a drop in the bucket in comparison.

For the latter it creates a very uncertain future in a category already beleaguered with uncertainty.

"What? They have no bread? Then let them eat cake!

"What? They have no Photoshop? Then let them use Lightroom"

IMO and direct expereince, the strength of Lightroom is its synergistic link to Photoshop as an "Open In" option, providing quick access to deeper retouching tools, layers, and layered plug-ins such as Nik software like Silver Efex Pro-2. (Nik was purchased by Google, who instantly made all the Nik plug-ins suites available for a modest price, but created uncertainty as to what the future held for Nik software direction.)

I also use OnOne Photo Tools that is a layered effects suite plug-in under "Automate" in PS.

Without PS, these software solutions are not applied as layers, (i.e., Nik Silver Efex Pro-2 stand-alone is not a layered file).

Any of these solutions done in PS were then returned to the Lightroom library as a version, thus completing the workflow circle intact.

As it is, I can live with PS6 as long as it can update RAW compatibility for new cameras, and is compatible with the newer versions of LR (because I NEVER use Bridge/ARC to process RAW files). Adobe says it will allow PS6 users to acquire the later versions of ACR but will not allow use of any new features in later versions of PS. We'll see how long that lasts, since I do not believe them longer term.

IMO, anyone running PS 5.5 had better think about updating to PS6 while you can, since Abobe will not be making new versions of ACR available ... for example, and correct me if I am wrong, the Nikon D600 RAW files require the latest ACR 7 version which isn't available for PS 5.5. This isn't meant to further support Adobe, but to buy PS users some time.

Those who use the more extensive PS Suite, including In Design are screwed unless the current version lasts a while. However, Quark was a lesson in horrid compatibility with previous versions, and this move smells the same.

-Marc

D

Deleted member 7792

This is a big business move to get all the zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses, etc. on a steady income generating stream for Adobe rather than a once in a while upgrade path that any company could skip in down times. The regular pro photographer and advanced amateur are a drop in the bucket in comparison.

<snip>

As it is, I can live with PS6 as long as it can update RAW compatibility for new cameras, and is compatible with the newer versions of LR (because I NEVER use Bridge/ARC to process RAW files). Adobe says it will allow PS6 users to acquire the later versions of ACR but will not allow use of any new features in later versions of PS. We'll see how long that lasts, since I do not believe them longer term.

<snip>

-Marc
Well stated, Marc. And coincident with my conclusion. I will use PS6 and LR5 without subscribing to the Creative Cloud for as long as I can (i.e., as long as the common ACR/LR5 RAW converter covers my camera choices).

I'm currently not an Adobe shareholder, but as an investor have followed ADBE for several years. As a growth company in the technology sector, it has been "dead money" since 2008. Going to the subscription model gives the company higher predictable recurring revenue. Their analysis has taken into account the loss of upgrades for the fraction of their user base that uses just PS (me), in favor of the much larger portion of their user base ("zillions of graphics, editing, advertising creative departments, effects houses, designers, larger photo studios, retouching houses") that uses multiple Adobe CC apps. I disagree with their decision, but understand it in the context of their obligation to shareholders.

So for now, I'm not jumping on the CC. I can afford it, but the idea of "renting" Adobe software turns me off.

Joe

pfigen

Sorry, but Mr. Tuck is completely missing the point. He claims that Adobe is giving you a choice, when in fact, it's just the opposite. You have no choice and you have to agree to the most odious terms and conditions that I've ever seen. You do not have a choice in that. He's being naive and never once mentions that part of it. He also doesn't seem to understand that many of us simply HAVE to use Adobe products to do the work we do. There simply aren't qualifying competing products available. While some casual users might be able to sub out third rate apps and come up with usable images, most of the rest of us can't. Tuck is doing the creative community a disservice and undermines his own credibility with his arguments, such as they are.

Godfrey

"odious" ... Methinks there is way too much emotion involved in your response.

I don't use any Creative Suite apps enough to argue one way or another. I have PSCS5 and hardly use it. If I used it enough, twenty bucks a month seems cheap, but what do I know? I don't care enough to work myself into a lather over it.

I use Lightroom extensively, and it would easily be worth $20/month for me. It saves me tens times that per month. If they go CC with it, I'll pay the tithe. Or find some other option if I find it too odious.

I doubt most people ever read the Creative Suite EULA prior to all this palaver.

fotografz

"odious" ... Methinks there is way too much emotion involved in your response.

I don't use any Creative Suite apps enough to argue one way or another. I have PSCS5 and hardly use it. If I used it enough, twenty bucks a month seems cheap, but what do I know? I don't care enough to work myself into a lather over it.

I use Lightroom extensively, and it would easily be worth $20/month for me. It saves me tens times that per month. If they go CC with it, I'll pay the tithe. Or find some other option if I find it too odious.

I doubt most people ever read the Creative Suite EULA prior to all this palaver.
Isn't twenty bucks the "intro price" for the first year? Doesn't it jump to $50 after that? Then conceivably to whatever price Adobe dictates to its captive audience after that?

I think the main issue is with PS stand alone users ... the small fry folks as opposed to the businesses that use the full suite and require upgrades as they become available.

-Marc

Tibor

I prefer this one Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!!! | Damn Ugly Photography

Was using Lightroom and Photoshop but am moving to Capture One Pro 7 for my digital needs. Am also looking for an alternative retouching software - if there is any, let me know.

Capture One Pro 7 60 day trial already installed on my Mac and I already love it. Am looking for a great deal to buy it on-line. If you know of any, let me know. I think Phase One should do a marketing proposal to all Lightroom converts, now is the right time to sell Capture One :)

Godfrey

Isn't twenty bucks the "intro price" for the first year? Doesn't it jump to $50 after that? Then conceivably to whatever price Adobe dictates to its captive audience after that?

I think the main issue is with PS stand alone users ... the small fry folks as opposed to the businesses that use the full suite and require upgrades as they become available.

-Marc
Twenty dollars per month for Photoshop CC only is the standard price, as far as I have been able to figure out. I don't need the rest of the creative suite at all. See:
Membership plans: Pricing, upgrades, and subscriptions | Adobe Creative Cloud

All users have always been "captive" to Adobe's pricing, just like all buyers of anything are "captive" to whomever-is-selling's price. If you're dependent upon something, you pay the ticket and incorporate it as part of your cost of doing business. Not everyone buys the latest Leica or Alpa camera every year either. If you want one, you pay the price.

There's plenty of competition in the marketplace. Just because all'y'all want the best doesn't mean you have some illusory right to get it cheap or free.

G

Godfrey

I prefer this one Why We All MUST Fight Adobe And Stop The Creative Cloud!!! | Damn Ugly Photography

Was using Lightroom and Photoshop but am moving to Capture One Pro 7 for my digital needs. Am also looking for an alternative retouching software - if there is any, let me know.

Capture One Pro 7 60 day trial already installed on my Mac and I already love it. Am looking for a great deal to buy it on-line. If you know of any, let me know. I think Phase One should do a marketing proposal to all Lightroom converts, now is the right time to sell Capture One :)
Great. So you've found an alternative that is less odious to you. I wonder what you'll do if Capture One decides to go the licensing route too.

G

gazwas

All users have always been "captive" to Adobe's pricing, just like all buyers of anything are "captive" to whomever-is-selling's price. If you're dependent upon something, you pay the ticket and incorporate it as part of your cost of doing business. Not everyone buys the latest Leica or Alpa camera every year either. If you want one, you pay the price.
Except currently, if you choose not to upgrade you still have a fully working piece of software rather than with CC you are locked out without further payment. I buy a new camera as my business depends on it and it lasts until I need another, be that 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 years.

I have no idea if you are a working photographer but you talk about "you pay the ticket and incorporate it as part of your cost of doing business" as if these costs mean nothing. How you consider this to be a better option is beyond me.

fotografz

Twenty dollars per month for Photoshop CC only is the standard price, as far as I have been able to figure out. I don't need the rest of the creative suite at all. See:
Membership plans: Pricing, upgrades, and subscriptions | Adobe Creative Cloud

There's plenty of competition in the marketplace. Just because all'y'all want the best doesn't mean you have some illusory right to get it cheap or free.

G
Yes, captive to Adobe's price if and when you went for an upgrade ... not forced on you every month in order to retain any and all functionality you already paid for.

In effect, you are paying up front for future PS developments and added functionality which you may or may not want or need. This added future functionality is provided at their whim ... so, as with any product, where you have a captive market, there is less sales incentive to improve the product. In contrast, there was an incentive to improve PS version-to-version to get people to pay for something they want. It is called consumer choice ... build a better mouse trap and people will come.

It is naive to think Adobe is some paragon of corporate virtue that will strive forward without the carrot at the end of the stick like every other product or service.

To use your camera analogy ... Canon comes out with a 5D MK-IV, but now you have to subscribe to the Canon Cloud to get any future firmware advancements ... if you do not subscribe, not only do you not get the firmware advancements, the satellite receiver in the camera activates, and your camera stops working. So you learn to live with the 5D MK-III while Canon still supports it ...

This smells like a product at the end of its useful advancement cycle, a creatively bankrupt idea that will only last until someone realizes there is money to be made by lighting a fire under Adobe's bum with some real competition ... bet the cloud subscription evaporates the minute some young group of geeks sees visions of Mansions and Maseratis dancing in their heads :)

In the meantime, the hoi polloi will just have to plod along, and hope PS6 that they already paid for lasts through future OS changes and a few new camera iterations.

-Marc