The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 9000 Scanner - software?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have a Nikon 9000 scanner which has served me very well for my medium format transparencies. I have been using it with Nikon Scan 4 software but since upgrading my Mac, this no longer works.

I have heard that some 3rd party software such as Silverfast will work - can anyone confirm this, or offer another solution?

Any help gratefully received!

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Wow, that was quick! Many thanks, Godfrey - I'm going to give Vuescan a try.
I took a look at your work - quite unique and fascinating. I enjoy it!
Bill

jlm

Workshop Member
i tried vuescan, went to silverfast, which i prefer. don't recall exactly why, but i had been using sf previously, so familiarity?

Godfrey

Wow, that was quick! Many thanks, Godfrey - I'm going to give Vuescan a try.
I took a look at your work - quite unique and fascinating. I enjoy it!
Bill
Thank you Bill! I appreciate the compliment. :)

Silverfast is also available, and many people like it. I always thought it was a bit on the pricey side, but YMMV. It's worth downloading a demo version to evaluate for yourself.

Vuescan's UI is often a bit quirky, but once you learn it it does a great job at a small fraction of the price. If you buy the pro version, you will be able to keep it updated forever. The author, Ed Hamrick, is very proactive about keeping Vuescan current. I've been using Vuescan since 2000.

G

mrenters

I also use Vuescan. The nice thing about Vuescan is that it works with pretty well every scanner out there and you don't need to pay extra if you also have a flatbed.

Martin