The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One, sorting and picks

robsteve

Subscriber
I have a season's worth of basketball pictures to sort through. Each game is in its own folder. I want to go though the folders and quickly tag images to be part of a season summary. Is there a way to do this and then view all these tagged images in one place, without actually moving the images to that place? In other words the picks would be in a list/contact sheet which are just links to the underlying image.

I am trying to find the images of one player and then process them to jpegs.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am using C1 7.1.1 in session mode and find that the following works for me.
I tend to always configure the session as a tethered shoot so there exists a capture folder. AFAIK this is not necessary.
I tend to have images in sub-folders according to whatever criteria is appropriate for that session (model, look, and so-forth). They contents of all of them appear in the session album "All images"
From there I can run through them and add metadata as appropriate, model name, keywords, whatever seems appropriate.
At that point you can filter by specific metadata criteria to display only the wanted subset.
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
Thanks Bob. I am working through it now using a session, but since the images didn't start in that session I think I am loosing the all images option. I will look into it.

The work around I have now is just to flag in each folder then all the output jpegs go to the session output folder.

BTW, Capture on replied to a support request and suggested I use catalogs. Not sure I want to go there.

robertwright

well you could make a catalog just for the seasons games and then do all your tagging within that and then the searching would be enabled.

Lr is the same, the only way it works is via the catalog, there are no sessions.

what the difference is, is whether or not the settings file is in the session or in the catalog.,

whether c1 will write sidecar xmp is another thing. Lr can do this and so each image has its own settings and metadata. Good for archiving.

I have a season's worth of basketball pictures to sort through. Each game is in its own folder. I want to go though the folders and quickly tag images to be part of a season summary. Is there a way to do this and then view all these tagged images in one place, without actually moving the images to that place? In other words the picks would be in a list/contact sheet which are just links to the underlying image.

I am trying to find the images of one player and then process them to jpegs.
I am using the smart albums for similar purposes, e.g. assigning a color tag to the selected pics and creating a smart album which contains all the pics with that specific color tag.