The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Calibration for monitor

Professional

Hi all,

I want to know which calibration system for monitors i should buy now, i have Spyder3Studio but this is now no longer in use with Mountain Lion, i must upgrade to Spyder 4, but i am not sure if i should stay with Spyder or move to another options such as Xrite i1 or ColorMunki or something else, what do you think?

thomas

Go for the X-Rite i1 Display Pro.
Currently clearly the best affordable calibration device.
Depending on your monitor you should use the software of the monitor manufacturer... so make sure the respetive software supports the i1 Display Pro.

Here's quite a good test. Unfortunately the methodology is inadequate (and therefore the final result is not quite correct) but still the review/test has its merit:
Display Calibration Sensor Capabilities
BasICColor Discus vs. X-Rite i1Display Pro

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I've been happy with i1 Display Pro. Use it to calibrate all my displays and it does a pretty good job. I have three different displays on my Mac Pro, and calibrated they look very close side by side.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes if your not using a Eizo or NEC wide gamut monitors that come with a calibration system than the I1 display maybe the best out there. Now having said that and given your a Pro you may want to consider a NEC wide gamut monitor which is far and above standard monitors as you really see what your back is capturing and there really not extremely expensive. My 27 NEC wide gamut with puck and software was about 1200 from B&H. Frankly anyone that is serious about photography and prints these are great monitors. My monitor matches exactly my output on my Epson 7900. I mean dead on

GlenC

I'm also considering a better calibration tool and I believe the software from basICColor is better than the software that comes with the Xrite eye-one. Their software works with a lot of different colorimeters including the eye-one display models. (Mac and PC) Here is their link:

basICColor display 5 - Monitor calibration and ICC Profiler | basICColor GmbH

Also, for PC's only, another option is the software from SpectraCal, which also works with Xrite eye-one colorimeters:

SpectraCal CalPC Software Only

I haven't used either of these 2 software only programs but I'm looking for something better than the software that came with the Xrite eye-one Display 2 which I have and doesn't produce profiles for my 2 different monitors that allow them to match each other. I'm curious if anyone has used either of these 2 other programs.

Professional

Yes if your not using a Eizo or NEC wide gamut monitors that come with a calibration system than the I1 display maybe the best out there. Now having said that and given your a Pro you may want to consider a NEC wide gamut monitor which is far and above standard monitors as you really see what your back is capturing and there really not extremely expensive. My 27 NEC wide gamut with puck and software was about 1200 from B&H. Frankly anyone that is serious about photography and prints these are great monitors. My monitor matches exactly my output on my Epson 7900. I mean dead on
So NEC is a great monitor after all, i hope it will be equal or better than Eizo, i still work on my Apple Cinema Display the old one 30" and didn't touch my Eizo 22" yet, but i was thinking of a monitor which is larger than 24 but not as large as 30", and your point about NEC 27" getting my attention, and also i didn't know that the calibration that come with Eizo [Navigation] or NEC is as good as those from Xrite and ColorVision.

Still on Spyder3Elite and Spyder4Elite, and the results are matching my prints beautifully, so i am almost fine, but my ACD 30" behaving weird since i upgraded my Mac to OSX 10.8.x, so that i was looking for another calibration, when i was using OSX 10.4 up to 10.6 i was fine with Spyder calibration.

Thank you very much

I'm also considering a better calibration tool and I believe the software from basICColor is better than the software that comes with the Xrite eye-one. Their software works with a lot of different colorimeters including the eye-one display models. (Mac and PC) Here is their link:

basICColor display 5 - Monitor calibration and ICC Profiler | basICColor GmbH

Also, for PC's only, another option is the software from SpectraCal, which also works with Xrite eye-one colorimeters:

SpectraCal CalPC Software Only

I haven't used either of these 2 software only programs but I'm looking for something better than the software that came with the Xrite eye-one Display 2 which I have and doesn't produce profiles for my 2 different monitors that allow them to match each other. I'm curious if anyone has used either of these 2 other programs.
Cool, another option to consider, i will read about it carefully and see if it is matching my needs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tareg the NEC uses the same puck as Display Pro but spectra software. Works very good. The 27 inch is very nice and has built in display port so no adapters. See if I can some links