The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

robertwright

hijacking the thread- perhaps we should move the conversation. I have the previews set to 2560, open Cl set to never. I just updated to 7..1.2, its the same.

thomas

I don't think Phase would need to make Photoshop obsolete---they just need to be competitive with the tools that photographers would use most, including managing large files with plugins, actions, etc. Maybe a parallel program at best otherwise I think C1Pro would be too bloated. Definitely would be a long road but it would be nice to have options other than the cloud bully.
I absolutely agree! My post wasn't intended to be a feature request list... it was just a reply to Guy's post (the one I've quoted).

RVB

David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.
And a color range tool for selection's ...and the ability to use imported files with the overlay tool in the layers section.. increasing the power of the layers in C1P would really expand its appeal..

Don Libby

I'm sitting in a hotel room a couple hundred miles from home and just have an iPad to type this on so beware of content.

I find I use C1 Pro exclusively for my tech cam work; first thing that's open. My DF is a slightly different animal. Most of the Df work is open in CS6 after I do a lens check.

I use a lot of actions in CS to include false color IR correction as well as running files through Nik. If C1 could add actions and plugins it would go a long way. I still haven't gotten comfortable with the color wheel however in all fairness I've only been using C1 since it became compatible with 64bit and I've been using photoshop for many many years.

More thoughts will have to wait until I get to a real computer

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hi Graham,

Nik Define - Noise reduction, Correct? I would be interested to see if Define can do any better than Capture One.
Sometimes I need to use both. With certain images from non Phase One cameras, such as my Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1, the long exposure noise reduction is definitely more controllable and local adjustable in Nik DFine. For Phase One MFDBs I don't need/use DFine unless it's for a super noisey 4min IQ160 image destined for B&W.

David Grover / Phase One said:
In terms of effects we do have Styles in Capture One, which is essentially collections of adjustments that you can load with one click and continue editing on if necessary.

So perhaps we should expand to more looks? Or encourage everyone to share their styles (if you like!) which is easily done.
Yes - that would be great. I have some styles and workspace presets from Doug and CI from before that I still use.

I think if we can encourage you to do as much in Capture One as you can, you should save time.

Silver Efex - have you tried BW conversion in Capture One?
Well yes but ultimately C1Pro is no SFX ... I can get looks from that far easier than the slider gymnastics in C1Pro. I'm not saying it's bad because it certainly isn't. Silver EFex Pro is just better, faster and easier to use. IMHO.

As for DXO lens correction - same question? Maybe you can tell me why you are using the plugins as opposed to Capture One?

David
I don't use DXO much actually but there are some lenses that they've profiled that work well. What I should have clarified was that I really meant the Viewpoint product. The volume anamorphosis is something that C1 doesn't seem to offer.

In addition to the plugins, the main thing for me is the ability to do some intelligent clone stamping beyond just dust/spot removal. I often need to remove objects around the edge of the frame (rogue leaves, etc) that spot/dust just can't handle so well.

For tech camera images I'd love to be able to call out to a tool like Helicon Focus to perform a focus stack.

Sometimes I need to use both. With certain images from non Phase One cameras, such as my Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1, the long exposure noise reduction is definitely more controllable and local adjustable in Nik DFine. For Phase One MFDBs I don't need/use DFine unless it's for a super noisey 4min IQ160 image destined for B&W.

Yes - that would be great. I have some styles and workspace presets from Doug and CI from before that I still use.

Well yes but ultimately C1Pro is no SFX ... I can get looks from that far easier than the slider gymnastics in C1Pro. I'm not saying it's bad because it certainly isn't. Silver EFex Pro is just better, faster and easier to use. IMHO.

I don't use DXO much actually but there are some lenses that they've profiled that work well. What I should have clarified was that I really meant the Viewpoint product. The volume anamorphosis is something that C1 doesn't seem to offer.

In addition to the plugins, the main thing for me is the ability to do some intelligent clone stamping beyond just dust/spot removal. I often need to remove objects around the edge of the frame (rogue leaves, etc) that spot/dust just can't handle so well.

For tech camera images I'd love to be able to call out to a tool like Helicon Focus to perform a focus stack.
Thanks for the insight Graham.

Eden

On the webinar topic: The ones I've been able to see have had good useful information from photographers in practical work situations, but I'm often not free at the scheduled times. Is there any way Phase can make previous webinars available for viewing at a later time like the tutorials?

Thanks,

Lynn Noah

gazwas

They do on their YouTube channel.

Don't hold your breath on learning that much though as the last couple I've watched were very much bias marketing BS. I still chuckle thinking about Frederico Martins shooting a head shot from above, placing his DF/260 on a lightweight traveller tripod with the column fully extended, iPad in hand saying how great the new wifi features of the 260 are. :ROTFL:

Don Libby

My IR work requires more than my normal files.

One of the first things I do is run a "false color" action consisting of channel mixer, auto levels, auto contrast, auto color and hue/saturation. Since this is an action its completely automated. Most times I'm pleased however sometimes I need to open level and tweak it so suite. I also sometimes will need to use a clone stamp, or healing stamp then I might add another level and add a Gaussian blur while adding a victor mask. I've tried to do similar in C1 Pro however failed.

Bottom line is that until I can work in levels, masks, and a few other steps I 'll be forced to continue with CS.

Again this is mainly with IR work. It's different with MF as C1 is the first editor I open where I use lens correction, LCC and other adjustments; sometimes I'm pleased however whenever I'm not I then run a process to convert to Tiff and open in CS. While C1 is getting closer to satisfying my needs it still has a way to go.

Until recently this hasn't been that huge a deal. My way of thinking is that it's better to have 2-programs that satisfy my needs than one which is bloated.

Don

They do on their YouTube channel.

Don't hold your breath on learning that much though as the last couple I've watched were very much bias marketing BS. I still chuckle thinking about Frederico Martins shooting a head shot from above, placing his DF/260 on a lightweight traveller tripod with the column fully extended, iPad in hand saying how great the new wifi features of the 260 are. :ROTFL:
Hi Gareth,

The webinars are purely educational and not 'marketing BS' as you put it.

I hold two a day to give the opportunity for folks over the world to join and you can pose your own questions at the end of the webinar for us to answer.

We then make the recording available to the attendees.

We also survey every attendee of the webinars for feedback and currently their comments are very positive.

So it doesn't sound like you have attended one of the webinars but are commenting on what is essentially a marketing video not an educational service?

The webinars are continuing on through June and you can find out the new subjects on the events page. Hope to see you there..

Phase One events

Remko

Hi Gareth,

The webinars are purely educational and not 'marketing BS' as you put it.

I hold two a day to give the opportunity for folks over the world to join and you can pose your own questions at the end of the webinar for us to answer.

We then make the recording available to the attendees.

We also survey every attendee of the webinars for feedback and currently their comments are very positive.

So it doesn't sound like you have attended one of the webinars but are commenting on what is essentially a marketing video not an educational service?

The webinars are continuing on through June and you can find out the new subjects on the events page. Hope to see you there..

Phase One events
I fully agree with David's response. I attended a couple of the webinars and find them very instructive and helpful. I can highly recommend them!

I do not understand how someone can call them "marketing BS". Is this a matter of "think twice before you post", Gareth?

cheers,
Remko

hcubell

There is only one company with the financial resources, technical expertise and an understanding of how to create products that are elegant in their usability that could create a real alternative to Photoshop. Apple. If Apple took a tiny part of its $80B offshore cash hoard and bought Phase One and then put its own people on the project with the Phase One people, they could take Aperture and extend out its capabilities to handle pixel based editing for converted TIFFs.