The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PhaseOne offers free webinars:

Knowing Your Options is the Best Investment Protection

COPENHAGEN, May 27, 2013 -- In response to recent requests, Phase One, the world’s leader in the world’s leader in open-platform, medium format camera systems and solutions, announced today a multi-faceted campaign to inform, inspire, and advise photographers who are seeking a smooth transition from other image editors to a Capture One Pro 7 workflow.

Capture One Pro 7, widely known as the professional choice in imaging software, consistently delivers superior quality raw file conversions. Yet it also offers a range of advantages that may not immediately be apparent. For example, the application can be customized to suit personal and specific workflow needs. Also, its comprehensive, built-in feature support (such as black and white conversion) means that customers need not purchase additional expensive plug-ins.

On Wednesday, May 29, as part of an ongoing series of free, informative Webinars, Phase One will present “Customizing Capture One Pro 7 to work for you.” And the first session in June will directly address transition questions that many photographers have been asking. The June schedule of Webinars includes:

June 6: Transitioning to Capture One Pro 7 from other image editors
June 12: New to Capture One? Learn the Highlights
June 18: Learn to Crop, Rotate and Correct Perspective
June 26: Search for and Locate your Images

For complete details and to register, please check the events page of the Phase One web site here: Phase One events And please watch the Phase One web site for more news during the month of June.

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

For more information, please visit Phase One at phaseone.com; or contact the team at:
Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW and on
Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phase-One/184811514906561
Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+phaseone/posts
Linked In at Phase One | LinkedIn

kdphotography

One can only hope.

This quote taken from an email from Phase this morning: "Why rent other image editors? Pay once for Capture One Pro 7 and own it forever. With Capture One Pro 7, you won’t need any expensive plug-ins or monthly fees. Simply pay once and get all you need to create amazing images in one powerful and customizable solution." (emphasis added)

They'll need to expand and offer quite a bit more in C1Pro7 or a parallel platform to flesh out what CS6 does more easily and with the option of third party plug-ins/actions etc.

ken

thomas

Agree they need more features so we don't need CS6 its really that simple.
to make Photoshop obsolete it requires a complete redesign of C1. With the color model / color management system C1 is currently based on it will never work for editing TIFs.
I really do love the way C1 handles color... for RAW files. But it's useless for TIFs/JPEGs etc.
Now, if C1 would support the Alpa Lens Correction Plugin (and other Photoshop Plugins), if it would feature a really smart stitching tool, if it would support unlimited layers with blending modes, with "Blend If" options and with masks and color chanels, if it would feature full blown color management (also suitable to prepare and softproof prints - again with fully featured softproof viewing options), if it could handle really large files ... then maybe it could replace Photoshop. But in all likelihood this is not going to happen ...

kdphotography

I don't think Phase would need to make Photoshop obsolete---they just need to be competitive with the tools that photographers would use most, including managing large files with plugins, actions, etc. Maybe a parallel program at best otherwise I think C1Pro would be too bloated. Definitely would be a long road but it would be nice to have options other than the cloud bully.

ken

gazwas

Better selection tools (paths) and layers with blend modes and variable opacity would go a long way, if not all to making PS obsolete for me.

Doing all this stuff to the RAW image would but such an amazing step forward for C1 and I'd never need Tiff's or PSD's ever again.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for input - and keep it coming!

On the subject of plug-ins, this is something we discuss a lot.

What plug-ins are you missing and why Ken? Sometimes we have found in the past that we can achieve the same results (often superior) to a plug in just by using the tools in Capture One.

Anyway, if you are not a Capture One user it would be nice for me to introduce you to it at the Webinars.

Thanks for posting the release Jack! :thumbs:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
David,

If there was a way to be 100% compatible with PS plugins I'd be a VERY VERY VERY happy bunny. The local adjustment tools in PS are my main reason for going there but for pretty much everything else I find myself visiting the NIK, DXO or similar plugin tools.

Btw, that's NIK Dfine, Color Efex 4, Vivezza & Silver Efex and DXO lens correction & B&W tools.

Hi Graham,

Nik Define - Noise reduction, Correct? I would be interested to see if Define can do any better than Capture One.

In terms of effects we do have Styles in Capture One, which is essentially collections of adjustments that you can load with one click and continue editing on if necessary.

So perhaps we should expand to more looks? Or encourage everyone to share their styles (if you like!) which is easily done.

I think if we can encourage you to do as much in Capture One as you can, you should save time.

Silver Efex - have you tried BW conversion in Capture One?

As for DXO lens correction - same question? Maybe you can tell me why you are using the plugins as opposed to Capture One?

David

gazwas

David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.

David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.
Hi Gazwas,

Thanks for the input. Anything to make the transition easier to help is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

D

jlm

Workshop Member
I use the cloning stamp and a few actions in PS; i see a generally better display of the image compared to the C1 viewer. i use genuine fractals for re-sizing and autopanogiga and siver efex and usually print and soft proof from PS, unless b/w, and then quadtone rip

kdphotography

Hey Guys,

Thanks for input - and keep it coming!

On the subject of plug-ins, this is something we discuss a lot.

What plug-ins are you missing and why Ken? Sometimes we have found in the past that we can achieve the same results (often superior) to a plug in just by using the tools in Capture One.

Anyway, if you are not a Capture One user it would be nice for me to introduce you to it at the Webinars.

Thanks for posting the release Jack! :thumbs:
David,

Are you (Phase) baiting us here on an alternative to the cloud bully? :p

C1 Pro 7 is my processor for both Phase MFDB and Canon. But having the ability to use PS compatible actions and plug-ins (hence why I think a parallel program is needed) is really about saving time. With decent PS skills you can always get pretty darn close to any third party plug-in. But that's not what it is about. It's about saving time. It's efficiency. And often these programs like the Nik Collection do it better and easier. And at a low price point to boot. Time is money!

I do use "styles" in C1Pro7, but not all the time. Just as I usually only use Nik's Silver Efex2 and Viveza regularly. I used to use the BW conversion in C1 Pro (still do on rare occasion) but Silver Efex2 is just a bit better imho. And this became more apparent to my subjective eye after having converted one of my 44" printers to K7 B&W Piezography.

If anyone can offer a suitable alternative to the playground bully, it's the folks from Denmark. :) Don't need all the feature-sets of CS6, just those that photographers use most, which would still be a feature rich program. But being able to run all my current actions and plug-ins, in layers, opacity sliders, etc. would be huge.

ken

robertwright

I don't think Ps is your target- its Lightroom- if you can make C1pro more like Lr then you will get people to transition. And it seems that that is where you are headed mostly- the local brushes and gradient tools etc.

But the task is going to be difficult since Lr is a pretty mature product, and at least in my opinion is a couple generations ahead of C1 in several areas.

Where C1 excels is in tethered capture and speed of processing large numbers of files. Also colour is excellent in C1, the profiles are really the best, and the sharpening and noise reduction is very very good, if a little aggressive out of the box.

But since Lr was written from the ground up and C1 has been a bit of frankenmonster evolving Lr has significant advantage for certain workflows.

If you need to ingest, sort, keyword, caption, etc a shoot, Lr is still better imo- C1 can't show you un-jaggie thumbs in a grid like Lr can- essentially it is still a single-image by image program. I'm not talking about assessing sharpness per image I'm just talking about seeing expressions in thumbnails at all zoom levels and C1 just gives you rough thumbs. It was never designed to cache thumbs at all zoom levels like Bridge or Lr, which would slow it down in tethered capture. So there is a basic goal difference where C1 is optimized for speed and Lr is optimized for editing. It is going to be hard to resolve this since speed is very useful in tethering. Compromise it and you are left with tethering in Lr which is not very good.

Also Lr is very very good at printing- it retains print settings per print, also it retains editing history which is very useful. For example if you are trying to get a group of images like a show or a book or a job together, where colour has to be even throughout, etc, Lr can do it, you can stay in raw and see groups of pictures together and alter each and retain history and by iteration make prints etc that go together. C1 was never really developed to do this, it is per image- process to tiff. I think it is the history list in Lr that really helps, plus the snapshots, plus the saved print functions. Because really in a show for example, it is the print that matters, not the screen, so you need to be able to iterate prints together and this means going back and forth. C1 is not there.

Also the local adjustment user experience in Lr is flat out better- real time adjustment, not just painting masks. And more adjustment options, tint, wb, etc. C1 hopefully will get there.

I haven't even touched books or web galleries, you get the idea.

I think the target is obvious- Lr.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Healing. Actions. Layers. Plugins. Pony. In that order.

And thank you for asking!

--Matt

(OK, I don't really need a Pony. That request is traditional.)

Where C1 excels is in tethered capture and speed of processing large numbers of files. Also colour is excellent in C1, the profiles are really the best, and the sharpening and noise reduction is very very good, if a little aggressive out of the box.

But since Lr was written from the ground up and C1 has been a bit of frankenmonster evolving Lr has significant advantage for certain workflows.

If you need to ingest, sort, keyword, caption, etc a shoot, Lr is still better imo- C1 can't show you un-jaggie thumbs in a grid like Lr can- essentially it is still a single-image by image program. I'm not talking about assessing sharpness per image I'm just talking about seeing expressions in thumbnails at all zoom levels and C1 just gives you rough thumbs. It was never designed to cache thumbs at all zoom levels like Bridge or Lr, which would slow it down in tethered capture. So there is a basic goal difference where C1 is optimized for speed and Lr is optimized for editing. It is going to be hard to resolve this since speed is very useful in tethering. Compromise it and you are left with tethering in Lr which is not very good.
Thanks for the compliments! :thumbup:

Just to pick up on thumbnails. I personally don't experience 'jagged' thumbnails and don't feel I am missing out compared to Lightroom (which I have of course used extensively as well).

Perhaps you had a low setting for your previews? The default is now 2560 px.

Check your preferences, under the Image Tab.

You can easily show a grid of images by hiding the viewer, and or other elements if you wish.

David

robertwright

I filed a bug ticket with Phase and they said to use the loupe. This is C1-7.1.1, previews as you say, Mac Pro quad 2.6, openCL off- stock vid card nvidia gforce gt120 512mb.

Thumbs are always jaggie/block compressed.

Thanks for the compliments! :thumbup:

Just to pick up on thumbnails. I personally don't experience 'jagged' thumbnails and don't feel I am missing out compared to Lightroom (which I have of course used extensively as well).

Perhaps you had a low setting for your previews? The default is now 2560 px.

Check your preferences, under the Image Tab.

You can easily show a grid of images by hiding the viewer, and or other elements if you wish.

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm still getting not as sharp looking in the preview than when I bring it into C1 and maybe it could be some old preferences lurking around. I'm at the new default David.