The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've made a mess of my C1 sessions...help!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've recently had to replace my Mac Pro with a Mac Book Pro (an interim step while awaiting the new Mac Pro) and have discovered that my laziness re: DAM has caught up with me.

I was running 4 drives inside the Mac pro plus an external drive and a backup RAID. I have years of sessions littered over all those drives and always promised myself I would consolidate them but never did. Now, after using Migration Assistant to load up my Macbook Pro, I'm encountering database errors whenever I try to open my old sessions.

I think part of it is a permissions issue. In the past, I've always used carbon copy cloner to make transitions to new start/system drives so everything came along and the various connections remained intact. But I wanted to be sure of a nice clean install on my new MBP and I think the decision to use Migration Assistant is what's behind my problems.

Not to mention that (for now) all those previously connected drives are being accessed one at a time with a drive dock.

Is there an alternative to re-importing all of my old original files into one new catalog? Any way to re-establish the connections to those old sessions?

It's something of a nightmare and I've officially learned my lesson. I thought I was cool because I had so much redundancy. But the center didn't hold and I'm faced with building a new catalog spanning years of C1 work!

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

gazwas

Having sessions over multiple drives then consolidating into one drive is likely the cause as C1 can no longer find the location of the original RAW files causing a database error.

What I would do is for each session that no longer work is open the session folder and delete the C1 session file (.col or .cosessiondb). Deleting this file will not damage any of the original files. Open C1 and create a new session in the same location and importantly with the same name. All this will do if there is an existing session with the same name is create a new C1 session file. All previews, adjustments, capture, selects, trash and capture folders will remain unchanged and with content intact.

The session should now load correctly and all should work again. The original adjustments should all still be intact. Repeat for every damaged session.

Last edited: