The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR lens corrections

picman

Are the lenscorrection profiles in LR5 of the same quality as those in DxO? In particular are they provided by Adobe or some PRO lab, or are they user-made?

Thanks, cheers, Bob.

Godfrey

Are the lenscorrection profiles in LR5 of the same quality as those in DxO? In particular are they provided by Adobe or some PRO lab, or are they user-made?

Thanks, cheers, Bob.
I don't know how to rate the quality of lens profiles in a general way, so how the LR/ACR profiles compare to DxO is unanswerable except on a case by case basis. Neither provide lens profiles for any of my lenses, last I looked, so neither are of much value to me. So far I haven't seen any need for lens profiles in the general case anyway. :)

For LR: Adobe provides a bunch, some organizations provide ones for the cameras that they specialize in, and users can make them too. See for some info:
Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Creator : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Creator 1.0.4

G

m43

Thanks, cheers, Bob.
IMO LR/Adobe camera RAW do more than adequate job of lens correction in fact its excellent.
DXO may get the last tiny bit of correction better.

Factor in the support for m43 is plain awful, also user interface and tools is way behind Lightroom 5. (I have tried DXO btw.)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The DxO lens profile also handles sharpening, more specifically appears to be deconvolving and can vastly improve a borderline lens around the edges and corners. It's like a PS CS6 Smart Sharpen where the parameters change across the field. But it can't work miracles, and if you have generally good input it's hard to distinguish from LR. In some cases DxO sharpening is too aggressive and introduces artifacts. It has better color saturation control, but not as good as Viveza 2. I no longer use DxO though because of LR's integration with third-party tools (like the Nik tool suite), and they didn't have profiles for the lenses that really needed them anyway. Without a lens profile the controls aren't as good as LR. The lens corrections for the Nikon fisheyes also wanted to defish and couldn't be used to just defringe and sharpen. This is based on DOP 7, which I never upgraded to 8. There's some remote possibility DOP 8 is better. DOP 7 was horribly slow, but still improved from DOP 6; not just processing raw files, but generating previews and hence touching the controls would take forever for it to respond.