The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1: Mac won't read PC Sessions

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

I've just found out that macs will not read sessions made while on a PC. We shoot manuscripts in our repro studio tethered, each book or manuscript is a new session, very convenient, very easy to catalog. We now have over 1000 sessions, each a unique manuscript and some 150,000 files.

We are outsourcing the cropping work and preparation for the web but have found that C1 on a mac refuses to read a session made on our main machine, a PC.

I called up my dealer who suggested packing the files as EIP and then they can be worked on without needing to use sessions on the mac but you cannot batch convert multiple sessions to EIP, you have to wait for each session to finish before converting another session. With over 1000 sessions this would be impossible.

Please note we are using 6.4.4, we haven't had the downtime to upgrade to 7 as yet, just haven't had the time to learn the new tools, check the tethering is behaving, etc.

Can anyone give any suggestions? It seems moronic at best that the sessions can only be used on either mac or pc and are not interchangeable. We were about to buy a macbook pro for our second shooting station and for travelling with when shooting works abroad, everything points to the mac being more stable for tethering, but if there is no solution then we cannot. It also makes me worry about whether the sessions are at all archival for storing changes or instead dangerous as a future time waster.

Godfrey

Can't help on the C1 cross platform compatibility, seem to me that's a thing to bug the software vendor about. As well as a real serious detraction to using their software. But...

I would NEVER rely upon parametric settings like a C1 session or Lightroom catalog as being an archival medium for rendering work. There are so many ways for the renderings to vary between versions, platforms, etc.

G

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks Godfrey, I'm not thinking about 'archival' as such but the word 'usability' for the next few years is perhaps a better term.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Adjustments are cross-platform compatible only the session files themselves are not.

Your dealer is over thinking things. You don't need to do a thing. Just start a dummy session (doesn't matter what it's named or where it is) on the Mac and browse in the library to the folder containing the images.

The images will be there, with whatever adjustments you've made on the PC. And when you adjust them on the mac and then reopen on the PC the adjustments will be there.

The only real catch/caveats:
- use the same version on both ends (e.g. 6.4.4 on both mac and PC).
- don't open the same folder on two computers (regardless of platforms) simultaneously. Nothing horrid will happen but the results will be inconsistent as to which computer's adjustments "win".

So you don't have a problem at all. Life is good :).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I tried that Doug, the adjustments aren't showing up. I wouldn't be making a fuss if it was that simple :D
It is that simple. Or should be under normal circumstances.

If your dealer can't help I'd do a support case with Phase One and if you stil somehow don't get anywhere shoot me an email.

Ben Rubinstein

Yair Shahar solved this one for me (kudos!). Upgrade to CO7. When you open a session it automatically converts to the new session format. That new session format is mac compatible. I spent the morning trying out CO7, tethering fine, works great, sharpness is beyond belief. Had to do a little fiddling with the 'style' to match the contrast, for some reason the CO7 engine has bumped contrast slightly in the highlights on the images but tiny tweak of the curves and it's back where it was. Perhaps this just gave me the incentive to get round to doing the day of testing an upgrade to a new version of the software required but thankfully now it's all working. Thanks again to Yair who got me an answer on a Sunday evening from the CO squad in Denmark!

Jwoo

Re: C1:Windows does not read Vietnamese script

I have a different problem with Win 7.
Shooting tethered to Macbook running C1 7. Names of subject are copied from Excel sheet in Vietnamese. Files are copied to a PC after shoot. Strangely I cannot see the files. I have to remove all the accents from the file names before C1 can read them.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Godfrey

Re: C1:Windows does not read Vietnamese script

OS X has full double-byte character support in the file system. Sounds like your Windows 7 system does not. Solution: don't use double-byte character file names.

G

Jwoo

That sounds right. Unfortunately the desktop machine is a PC. The way around would be to redo the names or output files with Macbook.

Anyone with other solutions?

Thanks.

Jwoo

Sorry, a little too quick with reply.
Not really double-byte characters. It's latin characters with accents and thunders. Like French or Russian.

Any help much appreciated.

Godfrey

Sorry, a little too quick with reply.
Not really double-byte characters. It's latin characters with accents and thunders. Like French or Russian.

Any help much appreciated.
"Latin characters with accents and thunders" are coded as either ASCII extended or Unicode "UTF-8" or "UTF-16" characters by the ISO font standards. They are at least outside of the standard ASCII character set definition (see Ascii Table - ASCII character codes and html, octal, hex and decimal chart conversion ) if not necessarily UTF-16.

It's surprising that the Windows 7 file system cannot work with them, but I don't know Windows very well. I'd just rename the files to be simple ASCII.

G

Jwoo

Hello Godfrey.
Windows see the file names fine. It's the Windows Version of C1 that cannot see files with those sort of files names.
In fact in windows desktop I can even preview the thumbnails. But it is C1 that does not recognise the files.

Godfrey

Hello Godfrey.
Windows see the file names fine. It's the Windows Version of C1 that cannot see files with those sort of files names.
In fact in windows desktop I can even preview the thumbnails. But it is C1 that does not recognise the files.
Okay, but the answer is the same: code the filenames to be basic ASCII and you'll have no problems.

I code all my image filenames to be "YYMMDD-tag-sequence" where tag identifies the session and sequence can be used to indicate a subject in a spreadsheet by the row number or any other identifying number you choose to use. Once imported into LR or whatever, I add the name of the subject to the image's keywords.

Makes it easy to manage shunting a bunch of photos around as you have the right level of file system evident data and the keywords inside the metadata to isolate and group the images by.

G

Jwoo

Ok. But I need to name the subject as he or she is been photographed to avoid any mistakes. C1 on Mac works fine. It is only the Wins version that does not see the files when opened in C1.