The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3-Year Project Done:Pls Help with the Now-What?

ocarlo

greetings,
My three-year project shot in war zones in Africa is done, and I'm coming back home to edit. I've certainly done some looking around, and so am not asking to be babied. Just wondering if you could share my excitement, and could chime in with pointers, tips, lessons learned etc...

Info: most everything shot on Mamiya RZProII and a Phase One P45 with Capture 6. Almost all shot on green screen with studio lighting. With some I'm placing images roughly (keeping the screen, and showing the whole setup), while a lot of portraits will have to be straight pulled off the green/blue screen). There's three separate bodies of work - and the amount of work ahead is making my knees shake.

Would like to buy all gear used ( Mac Pro tower), but might splurge on the $2k NEC monitor.
First step would be to set up my editing gear, then work on the original files, and get some sample prints done, then a few tests at the actual size (4 feet height and going wide up to 8ft length)

All my final edits right now are on hi-res jpegs, and since I believe I have to switch over the whole workflow to Capture 7, I'm probably at the stage where I have to make all the right choices right now.

More excitement than actual editing/printing knowledge - so any help would be appreciated.

1. is it correct that I will benefit from working in Capture 7? Does one work from the TIFs already imported previously, or do I re-import from the original files straight off the cards I copied?

2. What generally is the state the files should be in for a final print?
Would P45 files reach my desired dimensions without upressing too much?
will be in NYC, so any tips on printing labs would be great.
the rest I imagine will be Ebay and B&H..

thanks again n advance, for any bits of guidance, and will keep doing my homework..
PS:
there's a film too, so any gear I buy will be used for Final Cut editing after..

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You should upgrade to v7. Color discrimination on hard edge details will be better, which will provide an easier/cleaner green screen experience.

Why don't you make an appointment at our office and I can step you through the process of how you would open a previously-edited-in-v6 file and upgrade an image from the v6 to the v7 image.

I'd recommend you look at Eizo as well before you decide on the NEC. We have Eizo demo units at our office, so you could kill two birds with one stone.

thomas

greetings,First step would be to set up my editing gear, then work on the original files, and get some sample prints done, then a few tests at the actual size (4 feet height and going wide up to 8ft length
I do uprez my P45 images to 120cm on the short side (which is ~4feet). Since I mostly keep the 4:3 ratio the images are 160cm on the long side (which is 5.25 feet ... not 8 feet). This includes flat stitched images taken with a tech cam but also slightly cropped single-shots taken with a Contax645. The stitched images of course do show finer details but all in all the series fits together nicely.
Personally I feel 4 feet on the short side is maximum for single shots ...
Uprezzing to this size requires a sophisticated technique, different tools and it often also requires retouching on the final image (so on the enlarged file ... which can take hours in some special cases). But generally, yes, it's doable (though I doubt 8 feet wide will look really good... YMMV).

ocarlo

You should upgrade to v7. Color discrimination on hard edge details will be better, which will provide an easier/cleaner green screen experience.

Why don't you make an appointment at our office and I can step you through the process of how you would open a previously-edited-in-v6 file and upgrade an image from the v6 to the v7 image.

I'd recommend you look at Eizo as well before you decide on the NEC. We have Eizo demo units at our office, so you could kill two birds with one stone.
thanks Doug - was already on my calendar, after kissing my mom. looking at short courses on C7 and workflow..cheers

ocarlo

I do uprez my P45 images to 120cm on the short side (which is ~4feet). Since I mostly keep the 4:3 ratio the images are 160cm on the long side (which is 5.25 feet ... not 8 feet). This includes flat stitched images taken with a tech cam but also slightly cropped single-shots taken with a Contax645. The stitched images of course do show finer details but all in all the series fits together nicely.
.. YMMV).
thanks Thomas - its a great relief. In any case, I always imagined the pieces I have that require 8 feet across would have to be broken up into sections for printing..