The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw support for PS CS5.5.2?

Rawfa

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any other plugin for Photoshop to replace Camera Raw? I think the latest Camera Raw version for CS5.5.2 is 6.7 and it doesn't support the NEX-7 or the Canon 6D (I own both cameras). I REALLY don't want to move to CS6. My workflow involves viewing the files on Bridge, opening them with Camera Raw and treating them to a certain extent and then finalizing with Photoshop. I still want to be able to use this workflow but I'd like to replace Camera Raw with something that doesn't force me to move to another version to get RAW support for newer cameras.

Rawfa

This is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back to life. I don't want a stand alone program, I want something that will allow me to open the latest RAW files into Photoshop. I don't want to convert files and the open them on Photoshop.

Is there a way to force the latest versions of Camera Raw to detect Photoshop CS5.5 as a newer version so it will work? The way I work is to have Bridge open to view my files, then open the raw files FROM bridge, do the necessary adjustments and then open directly in photoshop.

fotografz

Not that I know of Rawfa.

To my knowledge, the only solution is the DNG converter if you do not want to update to CS6. And I'm not even sure that'll work, but could be easily confirmed by downloading it and giving it a try. I had to do that with the Sony A7R files for a while and it is a big PITA.

What is the issue with updating to CS6?

Adobe has clearly stated that CS6 will be supported despite their going to the CC subscription, and the latest Camera RAW update candidate 8.4 is ONLY for CC and CS6.

- Marc

Rawfa

The converting to DNG process is not practical at all. Last year I came back from Europe with thousands of photos. It would've been hell to convert them all.

I've tried the DNG converter anyway and it gave me a 9mb file with the best resolution selected, which is the same size as a JPEG, which doesn't make much sense to me.

As for CS6 I've tested a trial and for what I use it for didn't bring any advantages over CS5.5.

Worst comes to worst I'll keep shooting JPEG.

I've tried the DNG converter anyway and it gave me a 9mb file with the best resolution selected, which is the same size as a JPEG, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Which files were you converting? If I convert for instance a 25 MB ARW file I get a 27 MB dng file

Rawfa

Ok, I have now checked where it says embedded original raw file""and the file is 18.7mb, but the original raw file is still 23.4mb

fotografz

The converting to DNG process is not practical at all. Last year I came back from Europe with thousands of photos. It would've been hell to convert them all.

As for CS6 I've tested a trial and for what I use it for didn't bring any advantages over CS5.5.

Well, one BIG advantage CS6 would bring is ACR compatibility with your cameras … which sounds like the biggest issue you have.

Shooting Jpeg is most certainly a gigantic disadvantage to ACR. If that isn't an issue for you, then why worry about RAW anyway?

Being a little stubborn about CS6, aren't we? ;)

- Marc

BTW, I recently buckled and bought into the Creative Cloud with the $10 a month deal from Adobe. I had to upgrade to Lightroom 5, and got the newest CC version of Photoshop also … so for now it was worth it … we'll see later if they raise the price. However, I kept PS CS6 on my machine and will continue to update ACR as long as Adobe supports CS6 … just in case. :rolleyes: But I'd kill myself if I had to revert to using Bridge instead of LR for RAW production.

- Marc