The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Aperture users - problem with lost RAW files

Pradeep

I've used Aperture since version 1.0 and never experienced this. I've used both managed and now reference libraries. Lately I have had library repair issues since my HD is getting close to full (even at 2TB), the program could certainly do with some upgrades.

Are you using a managed or referenced approach?

I am afraid Apple is losing sight of its priorities, or maybe the priorities have shifted, it is no longer a company supporting high-end computing and graphics (although the new Mac Pro may change all that).

Pradeep

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If you look for problems on the internet with anything, you'll find them. I can only offer my own experience, but Aperture (since version 1.0) has worked almost flawlessly. I get an annoying intermittent request to reenter my serial number on my laptop, but that's it.

If the company's attitude towards professionals is at issue, I'll take Apple's (support interspersed with silence) over Adobe's (ransomware - pay us forever or lose access to your files) any time.

Use what you like. I'm hoping that C1 improves just a few aspects, as I get the best results from it.

--Matt

Last edited:

Pradeep

If you look for problems on the internet with anything, you'll find them. I can only offer my own experience, but Aperture (since version 1.0) has worked almost flawlessly. I get an annoying intermittent request to reenter my serial number on my laptop, but that's it.

If the company's attitude towards professionals is at issue, I'll take Apple's (support interspersed with silence) over Adobe's (ransomware - pay us forever or lose access to your files) any time.

Use what you like. I'm hoping that C1 improves just a few aspects, as I get the best results from it.

--Matt
+1 for problems on the net.

Also +1 for Adobe's attitude, which is why, IMHO, LR has been pushed as the ONLY option for most people.

However, Apple too has been frustratingly slow in upgrading Aperture. I just hope they do that along with the new Mac Pro launch, else I will have to go with C1 for most everything, cannot use both programs all the time (AP will not open IQ180 files).

Pradeep

Swissblad

Thanks for the pointers gents.

Pradeep, I'm not sure what you mean by:

Are you using a managed or referenced approach?

MGrayson

Managed photos stores the masters in the Aperture Library (which is a folder, and you can look inside and see your originals, but by default it looks to the finder like a single file). Aperture has a database of originals and your edits.

Referenced leaves the original photos in the location of your choice and only the edit information is stored in the Aperture Library.

I use Managed, because I have lost more things from putting them in "special" locations than all other reasons combined. With Managed, I know where everything is. I do export copies of my selects for online backup, but have never lost an original from the Library.

Best,

Matt

jonoslack

Managed photos stores the masters in the Aperture Library (which is a folder, and you can look inside and see your originals, but by default it looks to the finder like a single file). Aperture has a database of originals and your edits.

Referenced leaves the original photos in the location of your choice and only the edit information is stored in the Aperture Library.

I use Managed, because I have lost more things from putting them in "special" locations than all other reasons combined. With Managed, I know where everything is. I do export copies of my selects for online backup, but have never lost an original from the Library.

Best,

Matt
HI Matt
I use Referenced, because I have more images than I can keep easily in a managed library.
However - I keep all images on one 2Tb external firewire 800 portable drive (which then backs up to various places automatically).

The Referenced folder structure largely mirrors the project names within Aperture.

It has the advantage that my Aperture library is around 110Gb - and that fits happily on the SSD in my 15" MBP Retina . . . .
This has the double advantage that I can view my whole library even when I only have my laptop - also loading the library is much quicker.

When I go away, I import the files as 'managed' files - and then when I get home I relocate masters to the folder structure on the external drive.

I must say I've not been aware of this problem with exporting master files (but of course I don't do it that often).

Horses for courses - I still far prefer Aperture to LR5 - and it seems to me that the updates to Aperture have been since 3.0 have been about as significant as the ones to LR since 3.0 . . . . the only real difference is that one has had to pay for two upgrades to LR.

All the best

MGrayson

Hi Jono!

Alas, I'm just not an active enough photographer. My entire library of images is only a few hundred gigabytes. One day I may need to keep photos off-line, but for the past 15 years storage technology has been growing faster than my collection.

While I was opining, I should have added that the choice of Referenced or Managed is much less important than a ritual of Backing Up! Early and often!

Best,

Matt