The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro 7 Sessions?

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I just downloaded Capture One Pro 7 and I am new to the software. I have been busy watching as many video tutorials as possible, including the ones on Luminous Landscape.

What I am having the most problem (at the moment) understanding is how I do sessions, if the images already exist in folders on my computer. I know how to bring up the dialog box, but not how to select and import them into Capture One. The folder structure and where things are located is very confusing to me.

Any guidance here would be most helpful.
Regards,
J. Paul

jpaulmoore

Thanks Stephen! I too want to keep my own file structure so that part was confusing me to. Thanks for the video link. I have seen that one but just didn't quite understand it based on how I wanted to use Capture One.
Regards,
J. Paul

jlm

Workshop Member
way i use sessions, with a new set of images on my card:

when opening C1, "Recents" dialog come up; choose "new session", name it (i use: YYYY-MM-DD) and locate it in what ever subdirectory I want. i select "tethered" and then C1 will import to a folder named "captures" within this session (even though i am not tethered)
then C1 will open an empty "session" with the name you chose and create the captures, trash, output subfolders within it.
select "import", go to the card: the files on your card will be displayed, select the ones you want to import. they will go into that session's "capture" folder. when you finish the processing, the tiffs (what i usually create) will go to the output subfolder.

if you are opening an old session, select it from the Recents dialog box

one tip: when ending, close the session first, then close C1 separately. if you jsut close C1, next time when opening, you won't get the Recents dialog.

of course all your camera shot raw files will still be on the card for any archiving you want; but the C1 imported files will be in the capture folder of the session you created

Last edited:

jpaulmoore

Thanks Jim! Stephen referred to a place that I can "store files in their current location." I am not seeing this option.
Thanks,
J. Paul

jlm

Workshop Member
there is a difference between the original raw file out of camera and what is imported by C1; the file you want to archive is the original raw.

Ok! Lots of confusing information here.

There are two ways of managing your images in Capture One.

1) In Sessions
2) In Catalogs.

Sessions have been in Capture One for some time. Catalogs (or libraries) as you may know them were introduced in Version 7.

Jpaulmoore - It sounds like Catalogs make more sense for a workflow for you. Any reason why you picked Sessions?

jlm - There is no difference between the RAW file out of the camera and what is imported by C1. They are absolutely identical!

The option Stephen is talking about (Storing files in their current location) is referring to Catalogs.

jpaulmoore

David,
Thanks for your reply. I have enjoyed your expertise on the Lula Guide to Capture One Pro 7.

David, the only reason I picked sessions is that I thought it might be a better solution for me to experiment with C1 Pro 7. I could be wrong in my choice. The bottom line for me is that I am a very experienced Lightroom user and have been since its inception. Initially I am wanting to test some raw files and see how it compares to Lightroom without worrying about messing up a C1 Pro catalog. I already have a bit of a mess trying to figure out sessions but I looking for a reasonable solution.....if there is one, while I get familiar with C1 Pro 7. Any suggestions you have for working with both while I make this transition would be most helpful.

Regarding my testing, I have made two 13" x 19" prints comparing Lightroom and C1 Pro 7 and I am the liking C1 Pro 7 prints more.
Best,
J. Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
David,

Why are there no C1 books? Videos are a nice introduction, but make terrible reference material. I've had no luck interesting knowledgable instructors in such a project, but does Phase One have no interest in such a thing?

Best,

Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, I'll answer my own question. I downloaded the PDF of the Online Help (Start C1, go to Online Help, click Download), and it is a very good guide to C1 Pro v7.

I still wish there were an analog to the various Photoshop Recipes books out there. In a deep product, there are usually many ways to accomplish a goal, and it is quite useful to see what solutions experts have devised.

--Matt

David,
Thanks for your reply. I have enjoyed your expertise on the Lula Guide to Capture One Pro 7.

David, the only reason I picked sessions is that I thought it might be a better solution for me to experiment with C1 Pro 7. I could be wrong in my choice. The bottom line for me is that I am a very experienced Lightroom user and have been since its inception. Initially I am wanting to test some raw files and see how it compares to Lightroom without worrying about messing up a C1 Pro catalog. I already have a bit of a mess trying to figure out sessions but I looking for a reasonable solution.....if there is one, while I get familiar with C1 Pro 7. Any suggestions you have for working with both while I make this transition would be most helpful.

Regarding my testing, I have made two 13" x 19" prints comparing Lightroom and C1 Pro 7 and I am the liking C1 Pro 7 prints more.
Best,
J. Paul
Hi J.Paul,

Maybe check out this video. Its a recording of a webinar I made. Catalogs v Sessions.

Have a look and then get back to me!

David

Choosing the Right Image Management | Capture One webinar - YouTube