The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mavericks crashes C1

Jwoo

Make a mistake upgrading to Mvericks. Each time you apply a styles setting it crashes C1 Pro 7.
Anyone else has the same issue?

Jwoo

Had a shoot yesterday with multiple crashes, primarily when attempting to apply styles. If left along then it's alright.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
PLEASE do not update to new Operating Systems at the very first release.

There will ALWAYS be problems. Sometimes big obvious wide-spread issues, sometimes only specific platforms or when doing specific things.

This advice is not specific to Capture One.

Jwoo

That was my first mistake. Secondly, I didn't backup my older OS. Now I'm in a pickle.
Next job is in about two weeks. So I could wait and hope Phaseone will update C1 or pay to have Mavericks uninstalled and Mountain Lion reinstalled!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That was my first mistake. Secondly, I didn't backup my older OS. Now I'm in a pickle.
Next job is in about two weeks. So I could wait and hope Phaseone will update C1 or pay to have Mavericks uninstalled and Mountain Lion reinstalled!
Not just a matter of Phase One updating C1 in my opinion.

You'll also need for Apple to update Maverick to squash all the obvious/widespread bugs and then again to update Maverick to handle all the less obvious and more niche bugs.

Definitely add a new partition to your hard drive and install mountain lion. It will be a few hours of your life and you won't have to stress anymore.

Then in a few months you can simply boot to your Maverick partition, allow everything to update, and you'll be happy as a pig in mud.

RVB

Loads of reports of problems with Mavericks,I wish I didn't upgrade so soon,C1P and LR running fine but PS cs6,AlienSkins Exposure 5,Mail and safari all troublesome,and they were all rock solid under ML..

A possibility is use time machine to return to ML..

Knorp

Loads of reports of problems with Mavericks,I wish I didn't upgrade so soon,C1P and LR running fine but PS cs6,AlienSkins Exposure 5,Mail and safari all troublesome,and they were all rock solid under ML..

A possibility is use time machine to return to ML..
Funny you're saying that: it's specifically with Time Machine I'm having problems with failing backups ... :cry:

Kind regards.

Jwoo

Lesson learned. Reverted back to Mountain Lion and now everything is fine. Don't fix what ain't broke!

Knorp

Lesson learned. Reverted back to Mountain Lion and now everything is fine. Don't fix what ain't broke!
Mmm, it's not a fix but an upgrade, otherwise I'd still been using DOS ...
BTW as per vendor's advice, I removed the WD tooling for my external disks and all is well now.

Kind regards.

woodyspedden

Mmm, it's not a fix but an upgrade, otherwise I'd still been using DOS ...
BTW as per vendor's advice, I removed the WD tooling for my external disks and all is well now.

Kind regards.
PhaseOne officially states that C1Pro is not yet compatible with Mavericks. I did not notice a problem until I tried to install a smart album in one of my projects. When I tried to enable a search criterion the app crashed. Another time the entire system crashed and I had to reload Mavericks from the Apple site.

Finally, in frustration, I reinstalled Mountain Lion which is not easy since Mountain Lion is no longer available from the App Store! I finally got it installed and, after much reinstalling of some apps etc, I am now good to go again.

I have been using Apple since the 2E days and never have I had a buggy OS until Mavericks. Apparently they felt a need to rush this to market although when looking at the new features (or lack thereof) I have no clue as to why.

I will wait until a C1 upgrade and then another six months before I try Mavericks again.

Woody

I am using Maveriks (even before the official release) without any particular issue with any of my usual application, no matter if the developer is a big or a small player.
Only with CO 7 I have some problem but only when using the filtering functions, which I will try avoid for the time being.
I have the impression that CO, more than other applications, is heavily relying on the resources of the OS and this is why it is so sensitive to any modification done by Apple.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I run developer seeds of every new release, sometimes even C1 betas. so far, I have had no real issues other than some tethering driver conflicts which I was able to work out.
OTOH, I run these in a virtual machine, so if I get into trouble, I just delete it :LOL:
I have watched the graphics drivers slowly improve which has helped C1 get a whole lot less crashy when accelerated.
Doug's advice is sound if you are in a production environment, wait for a release or two to go by before committing.
I think I am running something like my third version of mavericks post-release and everything seems fine to me, of course I might not be using it in the precise way that you are which may cause some issues to surface.
I am a hacker, geek, and experimenter, so somehow I never end up running production code on anything LOL
-bob

Jim DE

I know a lot of you enjoy and use C1 for your primary photo post processing software. I own it but rarely use it but I have to say I thought it was because I had a older iMac that C1 update's loaded so slowly. Now that I own the TOL iMac with 32gigs ram and all the bells and whistles it still is the slowest software update loading software I own. It takes an hour or more to download its updates. IMO that just sucks big time!!!!

C1 blew away one of my aperture RAW stored albums when i initially started using it so my confidence in this software was seriously rocked and with the slow updates and it's awkward filing storage system I just have never warmed up to it even a little. I do occasionally bring in a individual shot or two for something it does well but pull it back out of the C1 software as soon as I am done. It does do some nice image post processing on certain things but nothing I cannot achieve using any of the dozen or so PP softwares I also own.

The reason I am writing this is it has been over an hour since I started the 7.1.6 update and I have 93.2 mb loaded to a 299.5 update at this rate I am looking at a 3 hour download....... really???? Is phase one serious? Who's got the time for this nonsense?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have to say I *LOVE* C1. I am running it now on Mavericks and so far no obvious issues. My last update download for the Df took all of about 10 minutes, instal was a breeze.

Jim, it sounds like you need to do a complete uninstall, including clear all C1 cache files in the system and user library and then re-install a totally fresh copy.

Jim DE

Jack you could very well be correct but...... that would have nothing to do with how fast updates load to my computer for downloading would it?

I can see it if I was having a slow download while actually installing the update on my desktop while loading to the capture one software but my issue is just getting the download from their site to me.

I am running maverick as well and just got this new iMac with fusion drive 3 weeks ago so it's not that I am running a slower older machine.

CS6, DXO, SPP, Topaz suite, PPS, DXO viewpoint, FX, Expose3, PP5, Aperture/iphoto all download very quickly to my machine downloads and then install very quickly as well, Capture One is like pulling teeth to get it to download to my iMac downloads. It installs just a bit slower than the others once it finally gets downloaded over the net.

Of all the softwares I have listed above .. only one get used less by me than C1 and that is PPS (portrait Professionals studio) and that is because I rarely shoot people ;) Expose 3 gets used about as much as C1 and that was because it has software glitches.

turtle

I upgraded to Mavericks on what was essentially a new iMac and regret it. Mavericks is plain nasty and has gone down like a lead balloon.

jlm

Workshop Member
i downloaded the latest update to my shop macpro (2009 and pimped) in about 10 minutes, fios connection.

on my mbpro laptop at home, (roadrunner) took four attempts, different servers and even waiting overnight for the dot to move. then on one last occasion, it downloaded in 15 minutes

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack you could very well be correct but...... that would have nothing to do with how fast updates load to my computer for downloading would it?
Correct, what I suggest is for the system crashes. Download times are a function of server loads and those are variable depending on where you live and dozens of factors that all could be downstream from PhaseOne's server could affect it, meaning it may not be a PO issue at all...