The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS4 issue when viewing an image at 100%

Paul2660

I have installed CS4 on a older XP 64 bit machine, video card is a nvidia GEFORCE 8400 GS. Machine is about 1 1/2 years old, 8mb of ram and
a dual core, not core duo processor.

The installation went fine and CS4 seems to run fine and process files, however when I view an image a 100% view and try to move it around
the image tiles as you move, and gets very jerky.

This happens in both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

I looked under the performance tab and my GPU settings are greyed out. CS4 says myvideo card drivers or card may need to be replaced. I
have upgraded the drivers, but not the replaced the card.

It's been a long time since I saw this type of problem on CS4 and I can remember some type of setting on tiles that used to fix it, but can't find anything
specific in CS4.

From my reading, I thought that that the GPU had issues with XP64 bit, with the 64 bit edition of CS4 and assumed the 32 bit would be OK. I also thought
that the GPU and Open GL was more to do with the 3D stuff, which I didn't plan to use.

I have not loaded CS4 on any other 32 bit machine, XP or Vista to see if the issue is only related to this one box. CS3 works fine, no issues with moving an
image around.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul:

You need open GL support in the OS and video driver to run CS4 with open GL -- does your video card and XP support it?

You might try turning all the open GL off in CS4 and use it the old way as it should be identical to CS3.

Cheers,

MrSlezak

Open GL support, as I recall, is provided by the video driver - not Windows. So I guess the answer to Jack's questions is "maybe".

Paul2660

Well, I found an answer sort of.

Adobe can't really tell me much about the open GL feature. When you read on their website, they state, the the extended verison of CS4 has the open GL features only. I am not using Extended. However Adobe techsupport told me that actually both versions use it. Even though when I go to the GPU area in performance it states that "this feature is not available with this version of CS4".

I didn't see the need to pay 350.00 for the extended version. Still really don't.

However since I have only loaded CS4 non extended on XP 64 bits, I won't know until later if my 32 bit machine supports the GPU or not, by definition it shouldn't.

The Video card's open GL driver is what CS4 extended needs to have in sync. My Nvidia card supports Open GL 2.0 in Vista 64 and XP 64 bit with the latest upgrade. Still not sure why Adobe states that Xp 64 bit is not supported since no Open GL drivers were written (per the website) if the Open GL extension needed are on your card. Net, Open GL has pretty much been the standard for gamers now for 4 years, and most games were supported on XP 64 bit and the card companies had to write the drivers. I am starting to feel that Adobe just didn't want to support XP 64 bit.

To answer my question, on another forum, I did find a solution.
Adober still has the "bigger tiles" plug-in, in the optional plug-ins area. It's on the DVD. I moved the bigger tiles to the CS4 32 bit and it solved my problem and I also moved it to the 64 bit version and it helped tremendously. Not sure why 32 bit plug-in would assist in 64 bit but it did.

I am still curious to see if anyone else out there running non extended can access the GPU support box under preferences on either a 32 bit or 64 bit (Vista) version.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

donbga

Well, I found an answer sort of.

Adobe can't really tell me much about the open GL feature. When you read on their website, they state, the the extended verison of CS4 has the open GL features only. I am not using Extended. However Adobe techsupport told me that actually both versions use it. Even though when I go to the GPU area in performance it states that "this feature is not available with this version of CS4".

I didn't see the need to pay 350.00 for the extended version. Still really don't.

However since I have only loaded CS4 non extended on XP 64 bits, I won't know until later if my 32 bit machine supports the GPU or not, by definition it shouldn't.

The Video card's open GL driver is what CS4 extended needs to have in sync. My Nvidia card supports Open GL 2.0 in Vista 64 and XP 64 bit with the latest upgrade. Still not sure why Adobe states that Xp 64 bit is not supported since no Open GL drivers were written (per the website) if the Open GL extension needed are on your card. Net, Open GL has pretty much been the standard for gamers now for 4 years, and most games were supported on XP 64 bit and the card companies had to write the drivers. I am starting to feel that Adobe just didn't want to support XP 64 bit.

To answer my question, on another forum, I did find a solution.
Adober still has the "bigger tiles" plug-in, in the optional plug-ins area. It's on the DVD. I moved the bigger tiles to the CS4 32 bit and it solved my problem and I also moved it to the 64 bit version and it helped tremendously. Not sure why 32 bit plug-in would assist in 64 bit but it did.

I am still curious to see if anyone else out there running non extended can access the GPU support box under preferences on either a 32 bit or 64 bit (Vista) version.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul,

I have the nVidia GeForce 9800 GT w/ 1GB display adapter and I had to roll back the driver to an older version to get the GPU option to work. So far so good.

Don Bryant