The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beginner Using C1

white.elephant

Based on the many positive mentions of C1, I bought a copy of Express in order to process my Fuji RAF files instead of using Lightroom.

I went to export the RAF files as DNG, and it wouldn't obey me :)D). It would Export as TIFF, as JPEG, but not DNG.

I went to the online docs, and am doing what it says there to do, step by step. The error message I get is:

"There was an error during the processing of the output file."

Has anyone else seen this? I"m probably doing something odd...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Why are you wanting to convert the native raws to dng packaged raws?

Are you mistaking dng as a solution for taking c1's excellent raw processing math in some way that the file remains raw but includes c1's processing? It is not - dng is still raw/unprocessed. If you want the math of c1 you have to *process* the file to a non-raw format such as tiff or jpg.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have had notihng but trouble with dngs at least as far as conversion is concerned. Once converted, I have found that something is almost always wrong with the file and this is not related to C1 at all, it seems it is true with most of the tools I have tried.
The main issue is that once you have converted to dng, many raw processors no longer know how to deal with the file. Either they cannot recognize the original camera thus do not apply their camera-specific processing or they assume a dng-generic color profile which is unfortunate indeed.
Cameras that natively use dng as their raw format are fine, but other than that I have no use for the format.
Keep your raws in their original form ALWAYS. Process to a useful format for further editing (TIFF, PSD) or a final format for use such as jpeg. If you are afraid that raw processors several years hence will no longer recognize your files, then process them to tiff for archiving.
-bob

k-hawinkler

Thanks. Excellent advice.
I believe in LR5 flat field correction works only with DNG files.
So I keep the original raw file as well.

white.elephant

The reason I was trying to do this was to take advantage of C1's demosaic processing and then get the output filed into LR5, where my library is. But thinking it through, you are right, it would seem I'm not solving the basic issue.

While I guess the thing to do is output to TIFF, it doesn't answer the basic question as to why I couldn't do the operation in the first place.