The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format DSLR as Film Scanner

gurtch

Not sure where to post this; I will also post on Medium Format:

I have a collection of priceless family negatives made by my father between 1935 and 1940, all B&W 645 size, all made with a state of the art Zeiss camera with Tessar lens, Compur shutter. I have a Polaroid 120 Sprint Scan film scanner that died, with no Vendor Support anymore. I have an Epson V700 flat bed that I resorted to using to film scan, but I cannot help but think I can get better quality. I want the quality to make routine 11"x14" prints, and occasionally 16"x20" prints.
Here is my plan:
I ordered from B&H a high quality focusing rail, with Arca type quick release. I plan on using my Pentax 645D, with quick release plate, and 120mm f4 manual focus Pentax 645 lens which will go to 1:1. I have a high quality light box with even illumination. I intend to make a horizontal negative copy rig, probably using a piece of 1"x 6" wood, bolting the rail to it, and turning the light box on it's side, and fastening it to the 1"x6". I have an electronic cable release, and the 645D has mirror lock up. As a test before I ordered the rail, I set the camera and lens on my kitchen counter, and turned the slide box on it's side, taped a negative to it and was easily able to focus 1 to 1 on the negative. Fine adjustments were needed by slightly moving the camera, thus my idea to buy a geared rigid rail. Anyone tried this? I could even bracket exposures and combine in HDR software, if required.
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It will work fine, but you want a good profile. So do yourself a favor and build a custom profile for the negs using a standard step-wedge so you know exact tonal curve and grays. And mark the exact spot on your lightbox that you used to create it. I might even add a second diffuser to the light box to insure more optimal uniformity. I would personally build my profile using C1's color editor, but there are other tools if you don't use C1 to process your raws. Finally, an old 645 negative carrier from most any good large format enlarger would probably serve very well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The first question that pops up in my mind is: Will you get better image quality than with an optimally adjusted V700? Do you have an adjustable film holder for the scanner? What scanner software do you use?

gurtch

I use Vuescan with my V700. The results are good, but I wonder if I can do better....similar to the results I got from the 120 Sprintscan film scanner, which was excellent, with Vuescan. I do not use an adjustable film holder, however I tried the several settings and chose the best one.
Thanks
Dave

gurtch

Thanks Jack. The enlarger negative carrier is a good suggestion ( I gave all mine away with my enlarger, which I donated to my local high school 5 or so years ago). I do not use C1, and am not familiar with their color editor you speak of. I am not aware if standard B&W step wedge negatives are still available, but I will do a search.
Thanks
Dave