The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus vs Lightroom

palermo

I just bought a H4D but which software do you prefer?
I like Lightroom because of there amazing correction possibilities but some people say that Phocus is much better in processing the raw files.
Can someone give me some advise?

Thanks!

RVB

I just bought a H4D but which software do you prefer?
I like Lightroom because of there amazing correction possibilities but some people say that Phocus is much better in processing the raw files.
Can someone give me some advise?

Thanks!
Phocus is the best way to process H files,you can move them into LR as tiff's for further adjustment and DAM..

Rob

stngoldberg

Phocus is the best way to process H files,you can move them into LR as tiff's for further adjustment and DAM..

Rob
I second this quote with the exception that I prefer the results using Phocus and some small adjustments in sharpening and clarity before bringing into Photoshop . Phocus automatically provides the lens adjustments that make the Hasselblad system so powerful
Stanley

bab

Phocus will get you there with very little work, then use lightroom for spot corrections, if you want more goto PS.

fotografz

FYI, the same lens correction profiles that are in Phocus, are also in Lightroom. Hasselblad provided them to Adobe.

Phocus can often provide better color correction, and I especially like the color wheel cast correction tool once you learn how to use it. Phocus is also better for tethered shooting IMO.

LR has a distinct advantage in cataloging, and that any RAW correction you make is non-destructive once saved in a catalog. The other advantage is very powerful local adjustments available in LR, and the ability to add plug-ins (like Nik Silver Efex Pro-II) without leaving the Lightroom software.

I had always hoped that Hasselblad would provide the option of saving Phocus corrections as a DNG file (like you can do in LR). Saving as a 16 bit tiff is the best you can do, which locks in the RAW corrections.

In the end, only you can determine which to use when. When I was processing lower volume commercial work, I almost always used Phocus. For higher volume jobs or personal work I used LR and maybe would select a few images to bring into Phocus for critical color work.

- Marc

rollsman44

I am also asking this question. I would like to do it in Phocus but looks somewhat confusing. Is there any thing out there that I can learn Phocus ? Thank you

bab

Hey guys so I export tiff files out of phocus and import them into lightroom and the files are different.
Yes I turned off any preset during import is there something else I forgot to do?
Also when I use the NIK plugin to pre sharpen, or later to sharpen for screen after saving the image ans it being auto imported back into LR it's brighter?
That doesn't bother me as much as phocus to LR any suggestions?