The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help needed

M

Manatee

I want the M8.

Before taking the plunge I borrowed a M6 to get the RF feeling.
I'm afraid I like RF!

I shot some tests with a 35 cron (old) on Tri X the other day and had the film developed and scanned. I got a disk with 72dpi scans. I appeared to me that the unprocessed are very 'grey' without contrast etc. Since this is the first time I used film and transferred into bits and bytes I was wondering if this is normal.

Did my dealer did a bad job?

The first picture is the unprocessed JPEG on the second one I only used 'curves'.
I use CS2.

Please help.

Thanks,
Rob

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I'm not surprised - scanning is usually either a DIY job using a decent scanner like the Minolta or Nikon offerings, or a highly specialized professional task to get real high-quality stuff. The run-of-the-mill around the corner scan is always fit only for the dustbin.... I fear, if you like rangefinders and want to go digital, it will cost you real money -something like M8 money :rolleyes:;)
Chemical photography, imo, should stick with chemical and and digital with computers, and never the twain should meet....

Daniel

I shot some tests with a 35 cron (old) on Tri X the other day and had the film developed and scanned. I got a disk with 72dpi scans. I appeared to me that the unprocessed are very 'grey' without contrast etc. Since this is the first time I used film and transferred into bits and bytes I was wondering if this is normal.

Did my dealer did a bad job?

The first picture is the unprocessed JPEG on the second one I only used 'curves'.
I use CS2.
no this should not be normal. can you find out what sort of scanner you dealer used? can you give a bit more details regarding the service provided by your dealer? you may have needed to clarify what you needed. perhaps you ended with a jpg file from your dealer because your dealer assumed you only wanted a simple scan. sort of like a proof before you decide if this image is worth scanning in higher resolution.

i recently had a few slides scanned by a lab. the slides were done on a drum scanner. the scanned files were between 90 and 100 mb. they were relatively large because i wanted to print up to 16 x 20. the files were 16-bit TIFF and not JPG.

if jpg file is the best your dealer can do, then perhaps this dealer is not equip to handle your needs. i suggest looking around for professional labs that can do quality scans for you. my lab charged me between 1 and 2$ per mb, and burning to CD is extra.

i hope this was helpful.

—dan

edit -you're in the netherlands? here's what i found by chance. http://www.acecam.com/holland.html.

Last edited:
M

Manatee

Thanks Jaap and Dan.

I asked around and I will use another lab. (Jaap; Kleurgamma in Amsterdam)

It appears that I only got low res. scans from my dealer.

Rob