The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Migrating to a new Macbook Pro

dchew

I've had a pre-retina 17in MBP for several years but it was starting to hang and act funny in a variety of ways. So a few weeks ago I purchased a new 15". I modified my 17" by removing the optical drive and installing two SSD's from OWC. I'm a bit spoiled because I used to be able to travel with my images on that second SSD and it was fast enough for me to be the only computer I have (with an NEC display at home). I have a few questions about setting up and living with the new MBP:

I miss the real estate of my 17" (but not the bulk!). With the retina display set on the default "best for display", fonts are actually bigger than they were on the 17, so I would like a higher resolution setting. If I switch to a higher scaled resolution are there any problems with scaling in LR or how the images are rendered?

I haven't thought about storage much, but was simply planning on keeping LR catalogs on the internal drive (1TB), then images on a remote SSD (the second 1TB drive currently in my 17" - OWC Mercury Electra 3G). Does it matter much which connection I use, USB 3 vs Thunderbolt? I just need to source the appropriate 2.5" housing for the drive.

I never investigated smart previews before since I used to have my "master" images on the that second drive. I'm wondering if people find smart previews to be a benefit, or do you find you are always connecting the external drive anyway?

Dave