The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe CC w/LR and PS questions

neils

I've been poking around and haven't found some answers. I bet you guys know.

A little background. My 8 year old MBP died. It was stuck at 10.6.8 anyway as I couldn't go any farther.

I now have a 2012 MBP from Macsales.com. 8 gigs, 512 SSD, nice. I've moved to Mavericks so I can use NX2 again. I like NX2 and for hi ISO I don't think there is better. But for other work like massive piles of files there are better ways.

I want to try LR. With the new MBP I can. So do I just buy the box, or do I go CC with LR+PS for $9.99 a month.

Do I understand it right, if I get the LR in the box there will be no download updates as they come out?

Is this whole CC thing a system where I do the whole thing is online as in NO real LR in my computer, just an uplink to a "cloud" version?

I barely used PS on my old MBP. I did have and like Alien Skins Exposure for film simulations. Maybe that would be all I'd do with PS. I assume cloud or not plug-ins work?

Thanks for any insight or real world use.

Neil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Neil,

I resisted the CC versions for a short time as I had upgraded to CS Suite...everything....then reality prevailed and I realized that the future is what we are afforded....

9.99 a month is a screaming bargain...and you end up with the programs on your computer...as long as you pay the till.....

Works great...lots of upgrades all the time.

At this point it is the only Adobe game in town...

I would say go for it...I did.

Bob

neils

Thanks. I probably will go for it. But I did find that the $9.99 a month deal is for a year and then it goes up. Goes up to ??????

I have a friend who I believe said he pays @$25 a month now and it will go to $69? in the fall. I need to check on that.

Thanks

Neil

k-hawinkler

Thanks. I probably will go for it. But I did find that the $9.99 a month deal is for a year and then it goes up. Goes up to ??????

I have a friend who I believe said he pays @$25 a month now and it will go to $69? in the fall. I need to check on that.

Thanks

Neil
That would be a lot of money per month - if true.
For now I am sticking with LR5 and CS6.
For .NEF files I prefer CNX2 for raw conversion anyway.
I am also using C1Pro7, so for me Adobe isn't the only game in town.
I'll wait and see what Adobe is going to do next.
Maybe it's a good idea to explore Aperture a bit as well.

Good luck with your decision!

neils

Right I wouldn't pay $69 a month for the package.

But do we know about the upgrade policy if we just buy the boxed version or download?

For some reason I think I read that we won't get upgrades if we aren't CC users.

But considering the cost of another box with LR6,7 etc vs $69 a month I'd just keep buying boxes too.

Neil

k-hawinkler

Right I wouldn't pay $69 a month for the package.

But do we know about the upgrade policy if we just buy the boxed version or download?

For some reason I think I read that we won't get upgrades if we aren't CC users.

But considering the cost of another box with LR6,7 etc vs $69 a month I'd just keep buying boxes too.

Neil

As far as I know there will not be any upgrades for Photoshop. If you want those you are stuck with CC. LR seems to be in transition.

However, ACR updates have been provided so far. I suspect that will stop if and when LR will follow the CC model.