The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7

iiiNelson

So I just downloaded the newest version of capture one 7 in an attempt to give it yet another chance. Plenty of people rave about it and I'm trying to see what the fuss is about.

Whenever I import images it seems that some of the images appear to make duplicates on top of another image underneath. When you export the image underneath is what exports even though another image seems to be on top. How do I stop this from happening? I very close writing off Capture One once and for all?

I know some stores sell training and make plenty of YouTube videos. I'm really not looking to pay extra for a program I'm doing a demo on. Historically I've used Aperture, Lightroom, and even Photoshop. All seemed a lot more straightforward for me. Just seeing if it's worth purchasing before the 50% off deal is done based off the results I can get between now and then. I won't use very glitchy software and that's what I have loved about Lightroom and Aperture. They just work.

gazwas

C1, Mmmm.

I love the workflow, the colour, the quality file output, the tethering, sessions and file structure but I loathe the stability. Stability is the one massive problem with C1, especially when you start adding adjustment layers as it all slows down so much until it eventually crashes. Add more then 30 dust spots and it become totally unresponsive and the only way to free it up is a restart.

C1 has been royally peeing me off recently, so much that I downloaded the trial of LR5 (not used since LR2) but it reminded me how much I disliked it so I'm stuck with the glitches.

Do I recommend C1(?) - I'm not sure in its current version as the frustration certainly kills off all the positive benefits when your stressing over all the other crap it throws in your face daily.

Trashing preferences, .cop, .cof, batch queue files, etc, etc, etc has little effect as the software is just buggy IMO.

50% off signals version 8 must be around the corner (Photokina?) so lets hope this brings better stability as its top feature.

archiM44

On my late 2009 iMac, OSX 10.8.5. with 8GB memory and start up SSD I have absolutely no stability problems whatsoever when using sessions. (I gave up on the catalog function which I found hopeless and use LR for that) Having an SSD for applications and with sessions and the LR catalog also on the SSD everything functions smoothly and very rapidly.

iiiNelson

Yeah I'm running a late 2009 MacBook Pro. 1TB SSD. 8GB RAM. Mac OS X 10.9.3. I've given up on C1 for good. I'm sticking with Adobe as their products just work.

gazwas

Mine is a 2013 27" iMac, top spec i7, fully maxed out 32GB RAM, thunderbolt external drive and C1 regulary brings this to its knees.

2010 17" MacBook Pro, top spec i7, fully maxed 8GB Ram, SSD internal drive and C1 is sooooooo slow and clunky. I now only use this as a capture device/screen on location and do all the real work on my iMac.