The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 crashes after Import

Jeffg53

I am loading D800E NEF files on an iMac using 10.9.4 and C1 7.2.3. When I import files from a card, I select the images that I want, the import proceeds, gives the completion message and then crashes whether I press OK or Take me there. This happens on import into the catalog or to my own folders. When I restart, I may have a couple or none of the files that I imported. Rebooting the iMac has no effect.

C1 is unusable as it stands. If anyone can suggest a workaround, I would be eternally grateful.

gazwas

I never use the import function of C1 as I've found it (amongst other things) to be very flakey. Best practice (for me) has been:

1. Create new session the quit C1.
2. Import from card manually by dragging image off card in capture folder of new session.
3. Wait until all image are transferred before launching C1 again.
4. Launch C1, select capture folder and wait for the previews to build. You can check progress by selecting 'Activities' from the "window" menu.
5. Work on the image as normal.

Jeffg53

Thanks, I don't use sessions, being a fairly recent convert to C1. I found that, if I copy my files from the card to the folder that I want on the Mac, and then import with C1, all is well.

I had a serious panic when I thought that I couldn't get my files into C1. At least, I'm working again. You wouldn't think that copying files from a card would be a big deal.

gazwas

Thanks, I don't use sessions, being a fairly recent convert to C1.
Wow, you're brave especially with all the bad reports on the stability of C1 Catalogs.

I found that, if I copy my files from the card to the folder that I want on the Mac, and then import with C1, all is well.
In a fashion, a similar way to my workflow. Best to keep your original images on the CF card well away from C1 and copy to your HD as you've found out.

You wouldn't think that copying files from a card would be a big deal.
I find it the most worrying part! When there is a copy on my HD and that copy is backed up I'm happy.

gazwas

Never used the catalog feature as I've used sessions for as long as I can remember (when Phase changed from Image Capture to Capture One) but all I ever hear is complaints and moans about it.

I'd do some digging before you commit too heavily.