The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Install Darktable to iMac ?

Owen_Coors

I need help installing the raw photo editor Darktable onto my iMAC 8,1 which is running OS-X 10.10.0 Yosemite, as of yesterday. If someone knows the detailed procedure and can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Godfrey

I need help installing the raw photo editor Darktable onto my iMAC 8,1 which is running OS-X 10.10.0 Yosemite, as of yesterday. If someone knows the detailed procedure and can help, I'd really appreciate it.
- Go to released darktable 1.4.2 | darktable and download the disk image for OS X.
- Once downloaded, double click the .dmg file.
- Drag darktable.app to the Applications folder using the provided alias.*
- Open the Applications folder.
- Hold the control key down and click on darktable.app
- Pick Open from the popup menu.
- Respond to the security dialog allowing darktable to open immediately and in the future.

* You can eject the darktable virtual volume and delete the .dmg file after you've installed the app into the Applications folder.

G

Owen_Coors

Thanks for the reply, Godfrey! I downloaded the file. It is compressed. Double clicking unzipps it, but it is just a folder full of various files and scripts. Yes, I'm used to installing the .dmg files and that protocol, but I can't get this to work like that. I tried installing with the terminal, too, using the script inside of this folder, but I could'nt make that work either. Are you saying that I need to look though all of the folders until I find the .dmg image and then work with just that?

Edit: Wait, I checked the link that you provided and there is a .dmg iso-image there, instead of the compressed, .xz file, that I've been trying to make work.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks for the reply, Godfrey! I downloaded the file. It is compressed. Double clicking unzipps it, but it is just a folder full of various files and scripts. Yes, I'm used to installing the .dmg files and that protocol, but I can't get this to work like that. I tried installing with the terminal, too, using the script inside of this folder, but I could'nt make that work either. Are you saying that I need to look though all of the folders until I find the .dmg image and then work with just that?

Edit: Wait, I checked the link that you provided and there is a .dmg iso-image there, instead of the compressed, .xz file, that I've been trying to make work.

Yes, you were downloading the wrong package. Go to http://www.darktable.org/2014/04/released-darktable-1-4-2/ and click on the link entitled "Disk Image for Mac Users":

That will deposit a Disk Image (.dmg) file in your Downloads directory. Double click the .dmg file and you'll see this:

etc. :)

G

Owen_Coors

Thanks, Godfrey! It's all sorted, now that I downloaded the right file :banghead: Now I have to figure out how to let my security settings allow this app. to run. Apple doesn't like opensource programs running on their system, I'm sure.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
System Preferences...Security..Allow Apps Downloaded from anywhere.

They really want us to use only their software....or one that has cleared the App Store.

Bob

Godfrey

Thanks, Godfrey! It's all sorted, now that I downloaded the right file :banghead: Now I have to figure out how to let my security settings allow this app. to run. Apple doesn't like opensource programs running on their system, I'm sure.
The latter portion of the instructions in my first response do that without disabling the secure protection. Apple doesn't care what you run on your system, they're just trying to ensure that the system is as secure as it can be by using security mechanisms that you can override when you want to.

G

Owen_Coors

Ahhh, got it, now! Thank you for the clarification! Admittedly, I did go into the security settings and choose "allow all", but after reading your last message I went back and changed that to the default "apple store + identified developers". However it still allows Darktable to open, now, without going through the set of unique instructions that you addressed in your first reply to this thread, Godfrey. So, is all well, for my installation, now?

Godfrey

Ahhh, got it, now! Thank you for the clarification! Admittedly, I did go into the security settings and choose "allow all", but after reading your last message I went back and changed that to the default "apple store + identified developers". However it still allows Darktable to open, now, without going through the set of unique instructions that you addressed in your first reply to this thread, Godfrey. So, is all well, for my installation, now?
Yes. By enabling it to run once, OS X has created the appropriate security instruments which enable the app to run.

G

Owen_Coors

I want you to know that I fully intended to carry out the steps that you outlined for me in your first post, but somehow I got sidetracked/distracted and lost my way. Hopefully, the next person needing this info will read this thread and see the wisdom of your set of instructions! Thank you, once again, for all of your help, Godfrey! :clap: