The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Computer Upgrade

So it's that time. My 2010 iMac is showing it's age.

Not sure where to go. Get the new retina iMac or a 6 core Mac Pro.

I edit in Capture One and do a lot of batch work as a wedding photographer. So I'm working with about 800-1100 images total and a lose a lot of time on import/processing and then export/upload.

All of these tests don't mean much to me cause I don't understand them. Of course, Apple won't let me test drive a Mac Pro in the store on CO8. They said I could process an entire wedding in Aperture, but that does me no good.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge? I'm running a NEC 27" PA whatever monitor for my color sensitive work already, so I'd just set my old iMac up as a monitor if I went with the mac pro.

Thanks!

bradhusick

The new retina iMac is not a wide gamut display, so if profiling is important to you, go with the Mac Pro and a profiled monitor (NEC for example.)

fotografz

So it's that time. My 2010 iMac is showing it's age.

Not sure where to go. Get the new retina iMac or a 6 core Mac Pro.

I edit in Capture One and do a lot of batch work as a wedding photographer. So I'm working with about 800-1100 images total and a lose a lot of time on import/processing and then export/upload.

All of these tests don't mean much to me cause I don't understand them. Of course, Apple won't let me test drive a Mac Pro in the store on CO8. They said I could process an entire wedding in Aperture, but that does me no good.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge? I'm running a NEC 27" PA whatever monitor for my color sensitive work already, so I'd just set my old iMac up as a monitor if I went with the mac pro.

Thanks!
I was in exactly the same position. Older Mac Pro that has reached its' last OSX upgrade. I shoot weddings and portraits often with 800+ images to edit.

I priced out an iMac and Mac Pro. I decided on the iMac 5K and will be adding a Wide Gamut NEC for any color critical commercial work in need of profiled adjustments. IF I were doing a lot of complex video editing I probably would have considered the Mac Pro, but I don't, so I didn't.

I spec'ed the iMac to the max: 27" 5K, 4 GHz, 1 TB SS Flash HD, 32 gigs of RAM.

Here's my first hand experience so far:

We just did a tethered studio test in preparation for a big shoot with models this Thursday. The Retina screen on the iMac is incredible. We were able to zoom in @ 3X with no saw-toothing or artifacts ... making outlining and retouching extremely easy. If color is any issue it was very difficult to see why ... at least for skin tones and subtile tonal gradations. Color looked pretty darned accurate to me.

Hard to explain ... the images just pop. It's like looking at a 1080 TV and then at a 4K TV (only even better). Presentations and slide shows of weddings are fabulous on this thing.

I have yet to see a spinning wheel. It is really fast ... actually shocking how quickly apps open. Tethered shots transferred very quickly. Batching was also very fast.

I can't comment on use with C08, I use Adobe Lightroom with PS and NIK plug-ins to optimize processing of wedding images.

At less than 1/2 the price of the Mac Pro, this iMac is a winner IMHO.

YMMY, to each their own, etc.

- Marc

Last edited:
Thanks, Marc.

Sounds pretty good then.

I have the NEC PA271 or whatever it's called for my most color sensitive work, I just need a bump in processing power from mid-2010.

Thanks a lot. Will dive in more for a look.