The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1-8's new Film Grain tool

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's an image from our Yosemite workshop earlier this year. This is a D800e file and the lens is the 85mm Petzval with the f4 stop in. Processed 100% in C1 for sepia and now grain:

Here is an actual pixel crop from the full-sized file to give an idea of actual structure rendered by the tool. There are 6 basic grain settings from "Fine" to "Harsh," and then each one is tunable from 0 to 100 on "Impact" and "Granularity." This is "Tabular" grain (moderately strong, or one level below "Harsh") set to impact at 68 and granularity 80:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cam,

Actually, no I haven't -- one other thing I should have mentioned, when you add grain, you need to do it with your final output size in mind. So while this image looks good on the monitor, I'd need to tweak the grain settings to replicate that in print.

cam

Hi Cam,

Actually, no I haven't -- one other thing I should have mentioned, when you add grain, you need to do it with your final output size in mind. So while this image looks good on the monitor, I'd need to tweak the grain settings to replicate that in print.
Thank you, Jack. I read the article and I do understand the concept.

I shoot a lot of high ISO shots and, rather than removing a lot of noise, I prefer to add grain to it to give it a more organic feel in print… Finding good grain is not so easy, so this feature may be the tipping point for upgrading once again.

I have one shot I need to work for print next week -- nephew and girlfriend at 10,000 ISO on the MM, shot in almost complete darkness on a rooftop terrace in Florence -- so it won't be easy! I'll give it a try with a few different variations (and papers) and report back.

Whilst it's lovely and all to look nice on screen, I care much more about the final output :)